Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tralalalalal Ho Ho Hee Hee Tee Hee Roflmao!

"A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without it's springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road."

-Henry Ward Beecher

A couple more of the books I ordered from Amazon.com, "The Idiot's Guide To Meditation," and " The Idiot's Guide To Yoga," finally came in the mail the other day. I have been reading a lot lately, whether it be to understand my Fibromyalga, or to expand my meditation skills, or even to refamiliarize myself with Qi Gong, it has been a good feeling to learn additional skills in order to care for myself and learn to deal with the changes that have taken place since I was formally diagnosed. For example, I learned the other day, from one of my books, that in India, they use humor as a form of meditation. They take their humor seriously. In fact, they take it so seriously, that they actually have designated squares and parks where one can go and just meditate through laughter. You just start laughing. You don't need to have anything in particular to laugh at, you just jump right in and laugh until it hurts. :) I LOVE that idea. God, doesn't it feel so good to have your sides hurt because something has touched your funny bone just that much?

I learned to laugh at myself years ago. I haven't begun to tell you about all the weird times and situations I have found myself in over the years. Humor is just a part of who I am...and I have to say...I thank GOD for it every day. I wish however, that we American's could have a similar place to go, a park, a town square or something similar to let go of whatever stress we have in our lives, that might be taking not just future moments, but indeed future years off our lives. Stress causes all kinds of physical and psychological ailments to happen to us. Hypertension,and heart disease, just to name a couple examples. Laughter, on the other hand, boosts immune function by raising levels of infection-fighting T-cells, which are disease-fighting proteins called Gamma-interferon, and laughter also releases endorphins, the bodies natural painkiller. Makes sense to me. I have seen it in action in my family. Those who had NO sense of humor, seemed to be sick constantly, while others who DID have a sense of humor were able to kick whatever affliction that may have come along. So I do have some practical examples to follow...and I plan to. :)

The sound of laughter seduces me. I love people who aren't afraid to laugh out loud and as loud as they want to when they feel it well up in them. God it's a good feeling, and really it is one that is to be shared...often. So tell me, when was the last time you made someone laugh? Did you tell them a joke? Did you make a funny face? Did you commit some kind of foible and laugh along with them? Share it with me. Leave your story in the comments section, and let everyone know what you did to help someone live a little longer, by giving them the gift of humor. Come on, if I can share, so can you. I will tell you right now what I plan to do this week, so hold on to your dentures. On whatever day I feel the best this week, I am going to go to the closet, open my box of found, fake boobs, put on an extra pair and go to the mall. Only maybe I will mix and match. You know, a size 32-AA on one side and a size 40-DD on the other. LOL. That will make the one side of my boobages to appear as a 84-DDDD! Yep, I am a 4.11ft and I have 44-DD's how I never tipped over is beyond me. LOL. Who says GOD himself doesn't have a sense of humor? :) Now go be funny...you know you want to. :)

-OndineMonet
"I Don't Care"

6 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I'm always trying to make my boss laugh, with gentle quips about myself and the job, pretty much every time I walk in her office. She's an easy mark - she always laughs. :)

Oh, and I like making insane, off-the-wall suggestions to friends in IM, especially in writing advice.

Fictional example:

D: I need a name for a female archer.
Karen: Millicent Wongybongyboo?

- K.

DesLily said...

for reasons i don't know.. the years i knew the kelleys (i know you know who they are because you read my journal) were among the best.. because of laughter. It became an obsession with me to make them laugh whenever we were together or in contact in anyway.. and the more they laughed, the more i laughed.. it was a win-win situation.

I think Red Skelton was another good example of what you are talking about.. he even laughed at his own jokes.. i think he was happiest when making others laugh. It was not just a job to him.

DesLily said...

hi again.. thanks for the journal comments lol.. yes, Wally Cox did Underdog!

If you go to Hollywood and DON'T see DeForest's star I will be disappointed! lol.. It's a block up from Mann's Chinese Theater.. where by the way, you can see DeForest signature, along with the other Star Trek folk. (I was there for that event too!)

Going to CA for a vacation i hope?? Great area to visit!

V said...

Now that we need a pic of!
V

Laura said...

tonight, while getting my 4 year old boy ready for bed, I made him laugh. He looked up at me with his bright blue eyes and suddenly began to laugh hysterically. As his laughter subsided into little giggles, he looked at me with his impish little grin and said, "You funny mommy!" Then he melted into hysterical laughter again.
I'm not quite sure what I did to make him laugh so. Perhaps I don't want to know. But his laughter is contagious.
Cool picture by the way!

Cindy said...

i have a friend i talk to about 12 times a day on the phone - we live 2 blocks apart - and we keep each other laughing. i have journaled about her before. just when we think our lives are going to make us insane, we can find something to laugh about. thank goodness, or we'd both be in rubber rooms by now. well okay, she would! LOL!

xo phin