"Beauty comes in all ages, colors, shapes, and forms. God never makes junk."
"Super Model" chosen by Becky, author of, "Where Life Takes You.."
Super Models. What do you think of when you think of, "Super Models?" The runways of Milan, Paris and New York? Victoria's Secret catalog pages? How about the pages of Glamour and Vogue? Yeah...Perhaps. Are the men and women featured in those magazines, and on the catwalks, always perfect looking? Well, like beauty, isn't perfect in the eye of the beholder? Yes, it is! I happen to be drawn to the imperfect, probably because I am so aware of my own imperfections. I don't know...I just find the beauty in the everyday. That's not to say that I don't enjoy looking in the pages of fashion magazines to see how the newest clothes coming out of the major fashion houses are supposed to lie on the body.
I also enjoy fashion publications because of how much I enjoy photography. My time taking photographs has taught me a lot about lighting, and shadows. I have learned a little about using natural lighting filters such as the sun through the limbs of a tree, to catch just the right look on a subject. For me, I read Vogue and Glamour as much for the way a photograph is taken as for what the subject is. That's why I am thrilled to have a chance to stretch my photography wings a bit with the this Round Robin subject.
There is so much that can be done with this topic. It doesn't have to be limited to perfect physiques, indeed, the term "Super Model" is merely applied to someone who has found great success and popularity in a certain area of fashion. There are many areas to be had when it comes to fashion. Here are some ideas I thought of when I found out what our subject would be...
Thinking as a Super Model...
1. There is High Fashion for pets.
2. There is the time when most women and men shine the brightest...Wedding day photos.
3. There is the traditional model found in the pages of Vogue.
4. There is picking one, "must have" fashion accessory of the season and modeling it.
5. With my love of shoes, I could put on all 184 pairs in my closet (one pair at a time) and model them for the challenge.
Now thinking as a Photographer...
1. I could take my camera to the park or the mall, and ask a smartly dresses stranger if they would let me photograph them for my challenge. I would absolutely do that...worst thing that happens...they say, "No! You weird WOMAN! HELP!" Best thing that happens...I have a new reader.
2. I could photograph myself or a loved one in mysterious lighting, and maybe learn a little something about lighting.
3. I could be playful with my super model quest and make it a broad interpretation. Can a well dressed Barbie doll be a true "Super Model?" Of course...you are only limited by your own imagination. Right?
4. I have a tripod...maybe I could photograph myself from behind while wearing my favorite fashion accessory this season, the "Newsboy" hat. I have 8 for this season.
5. How about reaching all the way back into the far reaches of your closet and getting that one piece of fashion that may have been seen on a Super Model in years gone by. Items that come to mind include, , silk shirts, ankle boots, many of these are making a comeback! Remember leg warmers? They're baaaccckkkk! LOL.
The thing that is so great about these challenges is that they are challenging! They encourage us to think outside the box when it comes to our photography. i find that I begin to look at a lot of things differently. I am excited about this challenge because of the possibilities. Another idea would be to take a "high fashion" photograph of an untapped market. Could your car be a super model? How about taking a photograph of what you might imagine a super model might eat for dinner.
Ok, this challenge will take place on Wednesday, January 18th. As always you can post your entry anytime between the midnights, but please do not post your entry before the challenge date. To play along, simply pay a visit to the official Round Robin journal and leave your name and the name of your journal, plus your journal's complete URL. Please take a moment to also read the *Welcome Entry And Rules Of Play* since we have tweaked some things a bit since we made the big move. Ok...go be photographers!
Round Robin Challenges
"Carly, The Paper Hospital Gown Model"
Union City, California
My 2017 Reading List
11 months ago