Sunday, November 03, 2013

Punky's Big Day



"Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's got to. I don't see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see."

~Linus van Pelt (Charles M. Schulz) It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Punky, October 31st 2013


Isn't that a handsome pumpkin? Alan and I looked far and wide before we found the pumpkin that was just right! We found, and met, lots of lovely pumpkins, both here and in Half Moon Bay, but we just didn't see the one who was quite right. Like when searching for your perfect human soul mate, one must look until one finds the perfect pumpkin soul mate. You see, since I was a very small child, I have believed that pumpkins have souls. I came to this conclusion, while growing my very own, very small pumpkin patch in my family's yard. I supervised, while Dad got the ground ready. He and I put the pumpkin seeds in the ground, and I watered, fed and spoke to those seeds, as the vines, and then finally the pumpkins, grew. I got to know those pumpkins, and each one was given a name. It was a practice that helped  to shape the love of gardening I have today! I haven't grown a pumpkin patch in years, but I am saving some of the seeds from Punky 2013, and with a little luck, next year we will have a perfect, and well cared for, pumpkin for Halloween. Wish us luck!

Mood: Happy

~Me :)


No comments: