Sunday, July 27, 2008

In About 100 Days Or So...


"Politics, it seems to me, for years, or all too long, has been concerned with right or left, instead of right or wrong."

-Richard Armour

Can you believe that we are finally down to the last 100 days of the race to the White House? It has seemed at times, that time was standing still and we really weren't moving forward at all. Things will be picking up speed now, and if you haven't really been paying attention all this time, or if you were paying attention, but decided to give yourself a break from all the endless political fussing, well now is the time to start listening again. It is your future after all, but more importantly, it's my future as well!

Let's face it, about this time, every four years, we Americans get a little selfish with our decision making. When we step into those tidy little voting booths or sit down to cast our absentee ballots, we put ourselves first. Which candidate will serve me best? There's nothing wrong with that, it is your future, and mine, and the guy next to me. LOL. That would be Alan. LOL. But don't think for a moment, that he and I have always agreed on a political candidate over the years, not at all, as you probably know, he was a republican when I met him. I take credit for helping him see the light, lol, but he will tell you he wised up all on his own. Well, yeah, that's partially true, but I think we have both changed our minds about certain things over the years, as we matured in our relationship. I think it's one of the best things about us as a couple, we can still talk to each other intelligently after nearly 18 years of marriage!

The other day, Alan and I were commiserating with each other about how we would take back the vote, we both cast, for Arnold Schwarzenegger for governor. The change of heart came with the last straw either one of us could handle regarding politics either nationally or for the state of California. That straw being that Schwarzenegger has proposed cutting the pay of over 200,000 state workers, in order to balance the budget. Can you imagine trying to take care of your family on $6.35 an hour? And that is not the end of the fun, colleges and universities will be affected as well, and there will be layoffs and hiring freezes in place when all is said and done. What's particularly despicably about the governor's plan is the fact that California's state minimum wage is $8.00 an hour!

California was one of the hardest hit states in the mortgage meltdown. Stockton, leads the list nationally, with the most foreclosures, and the figures continue to rise. I find it insulting that both candidates, McCain, and Obama are have nothing to say, about Governor's Schwarzenegger's threat. I know, I know, Obama was in Europe and Iraq last week, demonstrating his foreign affairs prowess, and McCain was ready with the jabs, about how inept Obama apparently is, and how if we vote for Obama, all hell will break loose. Wake up McCain... ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE! Now what are we ( you and I) going to do about it?

Well, I can tell you one thing, a vote for McCain would be like cutting our own collective throats. Tell me, do you really need another object lesson when it comes to the way republicans do things? Bush sat back, and nearly bankrupt this nation fighting a war that had no merit. A war based on, if you believe it, faulty intelligence. A year ago, most Americans considered the war in Iraq to be their number one concern, today, it's the economy. My gawd... how convenient for the republican party, that we are concerned mostly about our own pocket books. Go figure. Sometimes the war seems a million miles away at times... doesn't it? Can you believe that there are still folks who hold steady the belief that Saddam Hussein had something to do with the events of 9/11? Every time I hear that, I shake my head and wonder who these people are, and then I remember, they are the ones who have admitted they will be voting for John McCain.

I have to admit, I am not sure what my biggest concern is right now. I know that if Schwarzenegger has his way, and he cuts the pay to state workers, it will affect this state in all kinds of negative ways, that it doesn't really matter if you are a state worker or not. Foreclosure rates will take on a whole new momentum. Again education will be affected to the core, and we won't even discuss morale. Every single industry will be affected. One month of that kind of oppression would be devastating, but Schwarzenegger is poised to do just that, as early as tomorrow morning. State treasurer, John Chiang has said that he will override the governor and cut the checks at the usual pay, but that will be a fight that will be hard to fight. I appreciate the gesture, but I don't count on it.

One thing is for sure, this close to November, the state of California will be keeping this move in mind when voting for a presidential candidate. At the same time, it might serve McCain and Obama to watch what happens with California very closely, and be standing ready to address the possible catastrophe waiting to happen. I am really tired of the two of them playing to each other, and forgetting about what we hold dear. I will be watching both candidates, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for a political solution.


State Workers Upset Over Proposed Pay Cut (ABC 7)

Governor's Pay Cuts Could Affect Colleges (ABC 7)

Correction: The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour.

-OndineMonet

1 comment:

IndigoSunMoon said...

I was a Hillary gal, now I'm an Obama gal. A vote for McCain would be just 4 more years of the same old crap. I hope that all the "change" that Obama speaks of turns out to be something phenomenal.
Connie