Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Ellipsis Lifestyle... My Favorite Products #1 Eating Right Multigrain Spaghetti

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art."

-La Rochefoucauld

As I said in a previous entry, eating as a diabetic takes a bit of creativity. That's a good thing. Putting a little extra thought into what I eat has made me feel better about living with diabetes. The days that I struggle most, have nothing to do with my Type 2 diabetes and more to do with my Fibromyalgia. There isn't much that can be done with that, but try to eat right and get as much exercise as I can when I am feeling up to it. Fortunately, I have more good days then bad ones. When I do have a bad day, it is a comfort to be able to make a decision about my nutrition that I know will be good for me, and not complicate my diabetes. I am a happy girl, and I am somewhat of an adventurer. So, meal planning for me is kind of fun, like a big experiment. What will taste really good, make me feel satisfied, and still leave me with some healthy post meal blood glucose numbers? To my amazement, I have found a ton of products that do just that.

One of my favorite new finds is Safeway's Eating Right Multigrain Spaghetti. I have tried other products in the Eating Right line, but this is the first time I have tried one of their pastas. It was a big success in our house. At first I shied away, thinking it would have that wood taste that a lot of multigrain products do, but then I thought about how much I liked their other foods and I went for it. It was really good. Not just tasty, but it also cooks up really nice. Firm yet tender. I added the dry pasta to a pot of rapidly boiling water, no oil, and it didn't stick together the way other pastas do. I only needed to do a little bit of stirring with a folk a couple times. Now of course it does have a slight multigrain taste, but it is flavorful, not dry and woody.

I served 3 oz. of the cooked spaghetti, with sauce made with 1/4 lb. hamburger (97% fat free) and 1 cup of Ragu Original flavored with meat pasta sauce, and 1 tbs. Kraft Parmesan cheese. On the side was 1 1/2 cups mixed salad with 2 tbs Kraft Fat Free Catalina dressing. My blood glucose reading before my meal was 111 mg/dl and 2 hours later my reading was 126 mg/dl. I was thrilled! Now that's more like it. I ate all I wanted, I knew exactly what I was eating, and my blood glucose numbers were great. Now I have to try some of the other pasta in this line, I think I am hooked! This stuff is good for everybody. Give it a try and let me know how you like it. :) Diets don't work, but eating creatively does. Make eating an art.

-OndineMonet
Eating Right Multigrain Spaghetti
Berkeley, California
April 13, 2008
Afternoon

No comments: