Wednesday, March 31, 2010

W.A. #312: A Culinary Review



"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?

-Albert Einstein

Weekend Assignment #312: Write A Culinary Review



It's no secret, I LOVE to cook! I love everything about cooking, from creating recipes of my own, to playing food detective to make all those yummy things that can be bought out in the world, except with my healthier approach. Tonight, Alan and I had homemade French Bread Pizza, and Organic Creamy Tomato soup for dinner, which doesn't sound particularly exciting, but it was TOO yummy. I was happy with how dinner turned out, but even happier with dessert.

I had made Low-Cal Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast, about 300 calories per serving. I made some biscuits which were generic "buttery tastin" and after breakfast I had about 5 left over, so I decided to make Berry Shortcakes. I had purchased some frozen mixed berries a couple days ago, with the intention of making some vinaigrette or possibly a topping for some ice cream. I decided to thaw them out but wasn't expecting them to hold up well, so I planned to make a hot compote. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that not only did they hold their shape after thawing but they tasted as if they had just been picked! And there was very little liquid upon thawing. Nice!

So, here is my review; Europe's Best is a fantastic product! I will probably buy this brand exclusively from now on! Perfect for cobblers, or a topping for pancakes or perhaps for dessert such as the shortcake I made tonight! Great product. Great taste!

4 Berry Shortcake

Calories 185

Buttery Biscuit: 110
1/2 cup Mixed Berries : 45
2 tbs. Light Whipped Cream: 15
Dusting of powdered sugar: 15 (Optional)

Extra Credit: The worst meal I ever ate was probably the time my boyfriends mother gave me, Alan, her son, her husband and herself food poisoning... ON PURPOSE! LOL. But the worst culinary experience I have ever had at a restaurant took place in Los Angeles and LAX. I was 7 years old, and my sister and I had flown down to L.A. to go to Disneyland. We were on our way back home, when we decided to have lunch at the airport before we left for home. OMG. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE! Not food poisoning bad, but I swear I could still taste it 3 days later! UGGGGG! I didn't eat a hamburger for about 2 years after that incident! LOL. That's ok, I was probably healthier for it. :) Don't eat a hamburger at LAX, under any circumstances!

:)

-Carly

No comments: