Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Art About Town: San Francisco. Street Art And Murals Of Haight Ashbury (Part Two)


Jimi Hendrix Mural, By Artists, Ernest Doty, Max Ehrman, And Sean Griffin

"There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life."

~Federico Fellini

Jimi Hendrix. It's hard to believe that so much talent, could die so young. I guess when you are that age, death seems like it's for someone else. I am especially reflective about age and dying because of this week I think. The point driven home about the age of Trayvon Martin, and on the same day, the sad news of the passing of Cory Monteith. At just 31, another artist dead, from the same demons that claimed Jimi Hendrix. Brian Jones. Janis Joplin. Jim Morrison. Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse. I don't want to speculate about Cory Monteith, about why, or how, he lived or died. It serves no real point. I wasn't even particularly familiar with his voice, as I have never seen a single episode of Glee, but I did hear his singing the other day on a news report about his untimely death, and it made me sad to know that I won't be hearing him sing again. I could have been a fan.

But back to Jimi. In 2017, Haight/Ashbury will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the "Summer Of Love" and this mural of Jimi Hendrix is a little taste of what's to come in the way tribute to a significant time in our culture. The mural is on the house, very near the intersection of Haight and Asbury, where Jimi Hendrix lived during that time. The house itself is special, as it was the inspiration for the Jimi Hendrix song, "Red House." The three artists that created this mural, are working on creating another on the other side of the building. I am going to be revisiting the Haight throughout the summer, and I will keep you up to date on the project and it's progress. And you know I will be there in 2017 to see it all in it's psychedelic glory. It's art. So I will be there. Click the link below to read more about the mural, the artists, and their vision.

Fitting Tribute To Hendrix Ahead Of Summer Of Love

Mood: Reflective

~Me :)


No comments: