Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Such Great Heights

"I failed to make the chess team because of my height."

-Woody Allen

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Show off a picture taken from a height. "A height" you can define as "Higher that I could shoot by holding the camera over my head." Pictures from planes, from the observation decks of skyscrapers, from the roof of your house (although I don't want to put yourself in physical danger to take a picture) or wherever is up there in the air.

-John Scalzi

I know, I know, I have showed this view a few times before, but it is one of my favorite places to go, in all the world, to just get away from the noise in my head. This is the view from atop Twin Peaks, in San Francisco. The view you see is of San Francisco, the long street being Market street. To the right you see the lights of the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, and in the background you see the lights that dot the Oakland/Berkeley hills. Twin Peaks is 925 feet above sea level, and while I am actually kind of afraid of heights, I never feel frightened up here... I just feel really happy. :)


The View From The 9th Floor Of The Caltrans District

Office, Located In Oakland, California.

Now, if you want to talk about heights that scare me to death, it would be the one in the above picture. The funny part was that I didn't know I had a fear of heights, until I leaned over the railing to take this photo. YIKES! The world began to spin, I felt queasy, my head began to hurt, but by golly, that wasn't going to stop me from getting this shot, and so I took the photo, but I learned a little about myself in the process. OK, I am afraid of heights. Good. Now I can work on that fear, and perhaps there will be one less thing in my life that will give me stress. Make sense? So now, when I can, I try to visit places with observation decks, I look over the edge when I am on the roof of parking garages, and I ride in elevators that have a view. It's not always the easiest feeling in the world, but I at least feel like I am making progress in controlling my fears. :)

-OndineMonet
"High Above Market"
Twin Peaks
San Francisco, California
Spring, 2006
Evening

3 comments:

DesLily said...

gawd that shot in the hotel made my stomach jump!! I don't do well with heights lol

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures. The one of the city lights is very cool, I can see why you like to return to that view.

Donna. W said...

Great shots. I'm not even afraid of heights that much, but the second picture is SCARY!