Sunday, September 24, 2017

The Season Of Discarded Couches

"Don't throw away another day! No more procrastinating!
 Only YOU can make it happen.
 So, UN-ASS the couch and make it happen!"

~Steve Maraboli
Unapologetically You: Reflections On 
Life And The Human Experience 

As I mentioned before, I did very little photography this year, as  compared to other years, where there was literally a folder for every single day of the year! But I wasn't a completely absent, I did a little, especially last May. On May 13th it was finally warm, and the Fibromyalgia wasn't hurting me too bad, so Alan and I made a day of it, by attending the annual Rodeo Parade in Castro Valley, then we hit Berkeley for some lunch, and after that it was off to San Francisco! It was good for my soul to get in touch with all my favorite places! I needed to get a workout with the camera, and a workout I got. I posted some photos of San Francisco in a previous post, but this is the first chance I got to post the photo of the couch!

When I lived in Berkeley, I loved it when May came around. Not only was it finally warm, but May seems to also be the start of Discarded Couch season! Berkeley is a university town, and as such you have tons of student housing all around Cal Berkeley. So, as the year ends, and summer begins, so begins the throwing away of the no longer needed. Couches, toaster ovens, clothing, sometimes even basketballs and stuffed animals can be found along Berkeley's sidewalks and curbs, but most often, its couches. And I love photographing them immensely!

When I lived there I had a huge file of street furniture, but I gave up that subject a couple years ago. I miss it terribly, and next year I might go back to do some of this type of photography a little more often, and maybe even branch out to different cities around Northern and Central California. It makes for a fun day, you never quite know what you will find, sitting on a curb, waiting for it's final destination. And it's not just in May, it's pretty much a summer activity, ceasing sometime around the end of September, as a new season of couches begins. Out with the old... right?

#3 Leaf Of The Day
September 24th 2017
Old Sacramento, California


 Mood: Hopeful

~Me :)
 

 

No comments: