Friday, October 14, 2016

Art About Town: Orinda "Mutha Hen"

"Any fool can be happy. It tales a man with real heart
 to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep."

~Clive Barker
Days of Magic, Nights of War

Yesterday was our anniversary, and we had a great time. A nice steak lunch, and then it was off to the movies in Orinda, for the free movie of the month, which just happened to be one of our favorites as a kid, the now cult favorite, John Carpenter's, Halloween.

It was fun to finally see it on the big screen! It really does make a difference, as I found out a few years ago, when we went to the same theater, also in October, to see Roman Polanski's, Rosemary's Baby. Both movies managed to scare me at times, which considering how many times I have seen both movies, I didn't even think possible!

So yeah, we had a great time, and it was a happy, welcome relief to shed the toxic specks of day to day life, and pretend the boogeyman only exists in the town of Haddenfield, Illinois and not on the American political stage as a candidate for president of the United States! You all know who I mean, but I will say it anyway, for clarity, Donald J. Trump.

But that's not really the point of this post, so lets move on. While I was in Orinda last night, I spotted this amazing piece of public art called, Mutha Hen, by artist Eileen Fitz-Faulkner. I really kinda fell in love with this sculpture, and I felt good photographing it. I don't know exactly why, but it made me happy! Now public art usually does make me smile, but I think I am need to emerse myself in art right now more than ever! At least as I move through the next 30 days or so. There was just something comforting about a mother hen.

As I get through my upcoming cancer tests. This human cockfight of a national election, and all the other miscellaneous cares and woes, I plan to gravitate toward the comforting things in life. Art of all kinds. But then that's the idea behind art... right? Sometimes to document life, sometimes to make a statement on life, but to always inspire us in our lives. Art is not just important and relevant, art heals. Be it music, or sculpture, or paintings, or photography, it's an absolute truth that art heals.

And for the next 30 days I am going to seek it out!
Anywhere I can find it!

 Leaf Of The Day
October 14th 2016

Mood: Happy But Quiet
 
~Me 
 

No comments: