Saturday, February 21, 2015

Idiosyncrasies


 "Trendy is the last stage before tacky."
 ~Karl Lagerfeld

 WTF?

No seriously, what the FUCK?

What was Sarah Palin thinking, wearing her daughter's dress, right out of the closet, to the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary celebration? My first thought was that perhaps she was trying to follow in the footsteps of another tacky reality star, Kris Jenner, of Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Kris has been seen many times in "borrowed" clothes that belong to her daughters. Sometimes the clothes have worked well for the Kardashian "Momager," but more often than not, it just comes off sad. It makes me want to say... Kris, Kris, Kris... get your own style! And by the way, there is no disgrace in not only acting your age, but dressing your age as well! Stop making yourself a punchline, and set a style example for other women your age! Go ahead... be the style setter, not a style joke! And that is what I find so frustrating about both Kris Jenner, and Sarah Palin in general, they have all kinds of rare opportunities in the palm of their hands, and they will throw them away every single time!

When Sarah Palin hit the national stage, I admired her style, as far as her clothing was concerned. I had no idea until sometime later that, in fact, she was being dressed by her political handlers and not by her own personal style choices. Never mind who chose the clothes, she looked good in them, and she was beginning to not just be recognized strong self assured politician, but a strong style example for women our age group. It wasn't meant to be however, because like with everything else she touches, she brought a distasteful spin to it, for no other reason than to give a voice to her inner bitter middle-age political wanna-be. To admit style is to apparently have all your values mixed up, and we can't have down home Sarah doing that! So... style sense be gone... simple Sarah is on the case!

Of course true style doesn't have to mean expensive labels. A pair of jeans, a cozy sweater, just the right pair of boots, I would avoid American flag shit kickers, but that's just me, and you are good to go. Again, dressing your age is a good idea, pick up a Vogue, or consult wonderful websites like Rachel Zoe, In-Style, Stylist or even Pure Wow, as they can give a lot of guidance on what will make you shine, and be at your best when it most matters. Hey, there are plently of blogs where all you have to do is put the event that your are going to, into the search engine, and out will pop several examples of what to wear. I have been reading Vogue since I got my first job, and now I know the difference between what I like, verses, what actually looks good on me, and what will make the proper statement.

If my mother would have taken a cocktail dress out of my closet when I was 25, and wore it to a media event, I would have been mortified! I feel a bit sorry for the Kardashian girls, and Bristol in particular when it comes to that dynamic. While the Karhashian girls may have become numb to the idiosyncrasies of mom Kris, this must have been a new hell for Bristol. It couldn't have felt good to see her mom in that dress, but on the other hand, maybe she got a secret jolly out of seeing her mother look ridiculous... who knows? Sarah has kinda stolen some of Bristol's thunder over the years, although I am sure Bristol wouldn't admit that. Shrug. Again, who knows? What I do know is that the choice of dress was bizarre, and for the life of me I can't understand why Sarah wouldn't have wanted to make her own style statement that night.

White Dress
+
Black Dominatrix Boots
+
Brown Fur Purse

= Disaster!

"Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak."

PS... Don't forget to comeback tomorrow to see my picks for the Oscars, to see my fantasy outfit! Fair is fair, if you hate my style choices for my Academy Awards look, feel free to chime in! You will be welcome to play Fashion Police, and share your picks for the Oscars!

Mood: Happy

~Me :)



No comments: