Thursday, September 18, 2014

Art About Town: San Leandro... "Lariat" By Artist, Roger Berry


 "An ice sculpture in the Sahara makes about as much sense as donkey left open gaping wagon, Sergeant (add cream cheese sparingly)."

~Jarod Kintz
This Is The Best Book I've Ever Written, And It Still Sucks.

Okay, so, while out doing some errands Monday, that included having my blood drawn, I spotted this gorgeous sculpture standing outside the new Kaiser Permanente hospital, in San Leandro. It was moved to the new hospital a couple months ago, upon the closing of the old Hayward hospital. 

I hadn't been to the old hospital in years, I tended to avoid it if I could. As you might imagine, I don't have such fond memories of the place. Well, maybe one or two, after all, a hospital isn't always about the ones you lose, is it? Births. Good news about medical tests you dreaded taking, and maybe one or two downright amusing stories can come out of a hospital. One of my favorites being the time I was very sick, with terrible pain in my stomach from a small cyst on my ovary that decided to burst. Well, I was in the waiting room, standing in line,waiting to be checked in my the receptionist, when I began to vomit from the pain. GOD how embarrassing!

But the man in front of me, whose shoe I narrowly missed, and to who I apologized profusely, moved behind me in line and told the receptionist... "Take her first, she's sicker than I am." I can still remember the long line of folks laughing their sick little butts off. It was the most endearingly embarrassing moment of my life. LOL. I still smile when I think of that kindness showed me that day. That man could have reacted in so many negative ways, but instead, he showed me compassion, kindness and yes, a little humor!

Laughter Is The Best Medicine.
"Lariat" By Roger Berry
Kaiser Permanente San Leandro 

And wonderful public art helps too.
I love that hospitals, HMO's and clinics have begun displaying different types of art throughout their campuses.

Artist, Roger Berry, has several gorgeous sculptures around the Bay Area, so I think I might be posting more of his sculptures in this series as we move toward the end of the year!

Mood: Nostalgic

~Me :)

No comments: