Tuesday, August 26, 2014

One... Sir Richard Attenborough


"They criticize the films they think you ought to have made, not the films
 you wanted to make and did make."

~Sir Richard Attenborough

I went to see A Chorus Line when it came out in 1985. I hadn't seen the stage play, but I had been reading about it for years! I looked forward to the film adaptation of the stage play with enthusiasm. I liked the movie very much, and in fact, had "One" stuck in my head for weeks. Now when it is on TV, I never miss it. It's one of those movies I would love to catch on retro night at the theater. 

Unfortunately, the film critics in 1985 didn't care for the movie as much as I did. Shrug. It's my opinion that film reviewers are sometimes snobby about things, and by the time that these people actually make a living at tearing apart a film, they have long since forgotten how to simply sit back, and go with it! Never underestimate the power of pulling the stick out of your ass and just enjoying a film for what it is. 

Still, I suppose I understand the need for a paid film reviewer to tell it as they see it, after all people do spend hard earned money to go out and enjoy a film. 

But if I had a free movie ticket for every time I have completely disagreed with a professional film critique, I would have free movies for life. 
I must have really bad taste in art.
 :)
Let the critics criticize, I will just enjoy the film!



Mood: Happy

~Me :)


No comments: