Monday, July 14, 2014

Geocaching? What's Geocaching?


"Duke" Found near a Geocache hidden in Hayward, California

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"Well, depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where... "
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

~Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland

A funny thing happened a few weeks ago, while watching the Real Housewives Of New York City... I learned something! I know, I know... a lot of folks, including me at times, find it difficult to come up with anything redeemable about the Real Housewives Of Anywhere, but sometimes, oddly enough, you learn something about yourself, that you didn't know. For instance, a few years back when the Real Housewives of New Jersey came through the Bay Area, on their way to a spa vacation in Napa, they spent some time nearby. During their time on the San Francisco Peninsula, they stayed a couple days in an RV park in Half Moon Bay, and found nothing to enjoy. Nothing! Not the town. Not the people. Not the local restaurants. Not the amazing Pacific Ocean, which was just steps away! Not Half Moon Bay Harbor. Not the fresh salt air. Not the... well, you get the idea. I learned, while watching that episode, just how much I really do love Half Moon Bay, and the Bay Area. Not that there was any doubt before, but when I saw their blatant disrespect for the area, I felt strangely protective. 

The Bay Area is my home. Leave if you don't understand and appreciate it's beauty. It's as simple as that!

I felt like giving up on the show completely, but fortunately, recently, while watching the New York franchise of the series, I had a different experience. I found out about the new hobby Alan and I are currently enjoying... Geocaching! Geocaching is basically a type of treasure hunt in a way, but in this case, you don't find diamonds or money, or anything of real value, what you find are tiny treasures and a log book that you sign with your Geocaching screen name that basically says... "I was here!" 

The trinkets are usually anything small and silly. Stickers, buttons, badges, tiny rubber ducks, coins, erasers, marbles, matchbox cars. I have seen a lot of different small items, which for the most part is PG but sometimes, well, PG-13, like the time I found a condom, and of course someone left a antiseptic wipe to go with it! LOL. Social statement? Perhaps. Sense of humor? Maybe. But I prefer to find buttons thank you very much!

Anyway, how does this all tie in the the RHONYC? Well, it was one of the ladies who sparked the idea in me, Kristen Taekman. You see, Kristen planned an awesome getaway for the ladies to a gorgeous dude ranch in Montana. As you might guess, the whole concept was lost on most of the them, but a few of them got into it, but not to any appreciable degree. It was sad, I felt bad for Kristen, especially because she had made a real effort to show the ladies a good time with the outings she arranged. One of which was Geocaching!

As I watched how the game was played, I really began to like the idea. You get some exercise. You get to climb out of the usual, every day activities, and you get to prowl around bushes, trees, and fences late at night! Well, you don't have to Geocache at night, but it helps you avoid the muggles. Muggles are folks who don't know about Geocaching. It can feel silly at times, but it's a fun silly! Alan and I are having a HOOOOOOT! And I have Kristen Taekman and the RHONYC to thank for my new hobby!

Here are some of our recent Geocache finds...





What I like about Geocaching is the fact that the game can be completely customized to your individual lifestyle. You can meet new folks who share your hobby... or not... it's all good. Geocaching is done around the world and in most every town, so you don't have to go far to go on a hunt! It's not seasonal specific, and there are a lot of different ways to play. Maybe you don't want to go on a traditional hunt, okay, maybe try a puzzle solving cache. Or perhaps you just want to sightsee, cool, that is part of the game also. The point is, the game of Geocaching can be played every day, or once a month, its completely up to you.

I like that. And I also love that I had passed many different spots in my daily travels, and had NO idea that somewhere, just tucked into the corner of a store lot, or along a park-and-ride fence line, or hidden in a tree at my favorite gas station, there was a tiny treasure just waiting to be found.... or not! Sometimes I really have to think the clues that are provided just a little bit more! It's not as easy as it sounds, but it's fun! Having a GPS device helps. It is the easiest way to find the caches, but not completely necessary. You can just program the coordinates into Google maps and be on your way!

Sound like fun? Click here... Geocaching... to learn about the game and how to play!

Thank You Kristen Taekman! I know I would have enjoyed Geocaching with you!

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: