Friday, March 14, 2014

Art About Town: Berkeley... A Poem And A Sculpture


"Strange New Cottage In Berkeley"
By Allen Ginsburg

"Concentrate on what you want to say to yourself and your friends. Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness. You say what you want to say when you don't care who's listening."

~Allen Ginsberg

I look to a lot of different sources to influence and inspire my photography. Poetry, sculpture, music, literature, you name the art, I will bury myself in it to help me look at life differently, or at least with new perspectives. I get excited by other peoples art! I do! When I find someone who is truly talented, I want to know more! So, I study. Not to gain their perspective, but to challenge my own. I am lucky enough to live in the Bay Area, a place of immense culture and art. In Berkeley, there is always something to see. I know that sounds like a big statement, but it's true. You should walk around Berkeley and take a deep look around. There is a vibe the transcends decades. The architecture, the history, the art, the people, the students, it's all here, ready to be discovered. I am very lucky to fall in love with the town deeper with each new camera jaunt. 

A Strange New Cottage In Berkeley
By Allen Ginsberg

All afternoon cutting bramble blackberries off a tottering brown fence
under a low branch with its rotten apricots miscellaneous under the 
leaves,
fixing the drip in the intricate gut machinery of a new toilet;
found a good coffeepot in the vines by the porch, rolled a big tire out
of the scarlet bushes, hid my marijuana;
wet the flowers, playing the sunlit water each to each, returning for
godly extra drops for the stringbeans and daisies;
three times walked round the grass and sighed absently;
my reward, when the garden fed me it's plums from the form of a
small tree in the corner,
an angel thoughtful of my stomach, and my dry and lovelorn tongue.

And Now For Some Sculpture...


"Caliope" By Joe Slusky

"Poetry is not an expression of the party line. It's that time of night, lying in bed, thinking what you really think, making the private world public, that's what the poet does."

~Allen Ginsberg

Mood: Inspired

~Me :)

No comments: