Monday, February 24, 2014

San Francisco Landmark #254: Doggie Diner Sign



"Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious."

~Ruth Reichl

Hi Dog...

Yay! The dog has returned to it's rightful place, Sloat avenue at 45th street, San Francisco. Actually the Doggie Diner sign was rededicated, after a nifty refurbishing, on Valentine's Day, but unfortunately I wasn't able to be there for the celebration. So, the first chance I got, just this past week in fact, I visited the happy doggie, back in it's rightful place, and took a new portrait of his gorgeous self! I love these signs, even if the Doggie Diner has been out of business since 1986! You see, when I was a little one, it was a fun, familiar landmark to look for when traveling either in San Francisco, Oakland or Hayward, here in the East Bay. And now, the sign makes me smile because it's a rarity to see business adopt this kind of logo symbol. Gone are the big buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Gone is the large, slightly chubby, Bob's Big Boy. Gone is the Jack-In-The-Box clown. Sigh. I don't know about you, but I kinda miss that simpler time and era. Yes, everything is much more sophisticated and streamline, but I am afraid the trade off is the charm.Well, at least I have this guy to remind me of the fun and gitchiness of the past!

Welcome Doggie! San Francisco City Landmark #254.

Doggie Diner, September 6th, 2006

Note: If you look very close at this photo, which was taken in 2006, you will see a bullet hole in the doggie's chef hat. Now I ask you... what nimrod would do such a thing to a poor innocent pup? LOL.

To learn more about the history of Doggie Diner, visit their official website.
DoggieDiner.com

I need to go back and do some additional photos of the dog, as I am not happy with the lighting last week. I am going to being a new series of San Francisco Landmark photos, so stay tuned for this update, and to see some brand new, never before featured on this blog!

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: