Thursday, January 02, 2014

I Know, Right?



"For last year's words belong to last year's language, and next year's words await another voice."

~T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets

Have you heard? Well, if you are over 30, there are some common words and phrases you shouldn't be saying, because, well, you are too old! If 30 is an unseemly age to utter the word, AMAZEBALLS, can you imagine how completely icky it must be for a young one to hear a person of my... YIKES... age (51) to use it? Now, to be fair here, I learned that word, like all the other kids did, from the Internet, Twitter to be more specific! And I didn't learn it from someone younger than myself, thank GOD, I learned it from Danny Devito! And the way I feel about it is, if it is good enough for Danny, then it is good enough for me, but on the other hand, as social decorum goes, I usually try to carry myself with a certain bit of dignity. When I read an article late last year, on the website Lifescript, titled, Top 10 Things You're Too Old To Wear, I took all my message t-shirts, and put them in a big pile I like to call, "I am Too Old To Wear You In Public, You Are Now Gardening Shirts." Frankly, message t-shirts were the only items on the list of to 10 bads in my closet! I guess as a fashionista... I was doing pretty good at keeping it real!

But when it comes to words and phrases, well, once again, I am being reminded that time does indeed march on, whether I want it to or not, and along with time, comes age. So, it's time to create another big pile, albeit a metaphorical one, of things that should never be said by a woman, or man, with gray roots! And that's fine, but really, do I have to give up AMAZEBALLS? (Whine). I really liked that one! AMAZEBALLS, AMAZEBALLS, AMAZABALLS! Sigh. Well, okay, I guess that one isn't terribly lady-like, so... okay... I will give that one up! But I refuse... flat out refuse... to give up "I know... right?" I LOVE that one, and say it several times a day as I find myself in disbelief about one thing or another, and that phrase usually sums up my perplexity quite nicely! What's a girl to do? I know what I am capable of, and I know I will not be able to successfully give that one up! I am not going to even try, but when it comes to the others on the list, I can live with it! 

Here is the full list...

Seven Things You Totes Need To Stop Saying If You're Over 30

1. Totes . Yeah, I am just learning of totes, and I don't think it's all that fun. I agree.

2. I know, right? Sorry, I can't discuss it.

3. Amazeballs. It's just fun, but okay, I get it.

4. Cray (Cray-Cray) I am on the fence about this one.

5. I Will Cut you/ I will Cut A Bitch. I couldn't agree more. Stupid at any age. And self incriminating.

6. Adorbs. Blech. Enough Said! Although it does remind me of Rachel Zoe and anything she wears, designs, or promotes is fabulouss! So, I have mixed feelings!

7. Feels. I agree.

What do you think? Do you use any of these popular words or phrases? Do you march to the beat of your own tune, or do you like to be appropriate no matter how much you would rather embrace the trend? 

Please, share your thoughts! Or, if you like, take the first poll of the year on the sidebar and tell me what you think! If you have a trendy phrase, from years gone by, that you adopted and still use, even though it is a bit passe, feel free to share it in the comment thread!

Tell me all about it!

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say infinitely when you mean very; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite."

~C.S. Lewis

Mood: Curious

~Me :)


No comments: