Monday, August 19, 2013

Art About Town: South San Francisco (Orange Memorial Park Sculpture Garden)


"Best Friends" By Corinne Hartley
Orange Memorial Park Sculpture Garden
South San Francisco, California

"I dreamt we walked together along the shore. We made satisfying small talk and laughed. This morning I found sand in my shoe and a seashell in my pocket. Was I only dreaming?"

~Maya Angelou

 



I love that public art can be found in all kinds of communities, and all kinds of places. There was a day when you had to visit a museum to see amazing sculptures and murals, and now is there art everywhere from special sculpture parks, like where I found this one, to out of the way places! If you look really close, you might also find a special sculpture in industrial parks as well! Hey, an industrial park is just another kind of park... right? :)

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, Alan and I had an absolute blast visiting Orange Memorial Park's Sculpture Garden, in the city of South San Francisco. It's fairly close to SFO, and the planes departing fly fairly low over the park, so it can be kind of exciting to see them taking off for destinations unknown. 

It's just one more element that makes this park so special. As parks go, Orange Memorial Park is pretty good sized, and there is plenty of parking and activities to participate in. But you know where I was, right? I was wandering in the lovely special sculpture park towards the back of the grounds. There were several wonderful pieces that really resonated with me, but this one really stood out! Its so sweet, and so romantic!"Best Friends" by artist, Corinne Hartley.

How could it not be my very favorite, I was appreciating it alongside my best friend Alan. He is amazing to come along with me on these little public art jaunts of mine. He does most of the driving, and I do the navigating... sometimes successfully! LOL. Oh but we always have fun, whether we get to our destination or not! LOL. And no matter what, we always fun finding something unexpected along the way!

I met Alan when I was 13, and I am so glad I married my best friend!

"One thing was certain: he was my one. Most people go on their whole lives and never find their one, but I found mine. I found him when I was twelve-years old."

~Jennifer Edlund


Mood: Happy

~Me :)


No comments: