Monday, March 04, 2013

Art About Town: San Francisco... "Annular Eclipse"



"Art and love are the same thing: It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are no you."

~Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself To Live: 85% Of A True Story

Annular Eclipse...
Noun: A solar eclipse in which the moon covers all but a bright ring around the circumference of the sun.

I think spending a little time, studying a great piece of Public Art, is a good way to begin a week, don't you? I am hoping to be able to get out this week with the camera, come rain or shine, and immerse myself in the magnificent Public Art that dots not just San Francisco, but most cities in the Bay Area! I have been doing my research and there are a lot of sculptures, and murals to be seen and photographed, and I think creating small "treasure hunts" if you will, is going to be my main focus this year. But you never know... sometimes it's not the photograph I assign myself to get, but rather the spontaneous moments of clarity of the unexpected art that makes the day spent outdoors with the camera!

The Sculpture: Annular Eclipse
By George Rickey
Located At: 560 Mission st. San Francisco
Kinetic sculpture with fountain and bamboo grove.

We had an Annular Eclipse in May of 2012. I was thrilled to be able to photograph the portion that could be seen in here in the Bay Area...

May 20th, 2012


I was quite happy with the end result! In order to get the shot, I had to bounce the reflection of top of our white awning in the backyard. Someday I will own one of those wonderful high powered telescopes that will make it look like I am right there, standing on the sun. Until then, it never hurts to be resourceful... right?

Solar Eclipse 2012: Annular Eclipse Makes Ring Of Fire (ABC News)

Mood: Happy

Have a great week!

~Me

No comments: