Thursday, January 03, 2013

Winter By Day Winter By Night



"Colder by the hour, more dead with every breath."

~John Green

 

"One moon lights a thousand forevers..."

~Meng Chiao

In continuing with my night photography project, I decided to see how the leaves that are left on the trees change the feeling of the photos when captured at night. I like the tree with the tiny yellow leaves, but the big leaf maple leaves me a bit indifferent. A goal is to do some early morning photography, but if possible, I would like to have some snow on the ground to help bounce the light a bit. About 30 years ago, while visiting my aunt in Maryland, I was lucky enough to see what the moonlight can do, when it bounces off some new fallen snow. It illuminated all the tips of the trees and leaves that remained, making it look like someone had poured tiny diamonds all over the earth.

"By day each soul must walk within it's shadow. Only night can make us whole again..."

~Nicholas Gordon

As if that wasn't beautiful enough, she had a rooster that roamed freely in the yard, and just happened to be near my window, and the feathers on the rooster just glowed. It was quite a scene. I would give anything to be back in that moment sometimes, only with my cameras in my hand. I would love to see another scene like it one day. With some luck and some planning, I hope to be able to head up to the Sierra foothills sometime before spring to get in a little practice working with the snow. It's going to take a nice full moon, a crystal clear sky, and some patience. It's that last part that I may need the most help with. It was 6 below zero in Truckee last night, brrrrrr. Needless to say, my arthritis would be protesting LOUDLY. Still, where there's a will there is a way!

"How lovely are the portals of the night, when stars come out to watch the daylight die."

~Thomas Cole, Twilight
















 

~Happiness

~Thoughts?

~Me

No comments: