Saturday, January 12, 2013

Go 49ers! Go Akers!



"There Definitely needs to be water on the sidelines for these players, but I also had some Gatorade just in case they were allergic to the water or vice versa."

~John Madden

 

San Francisco landmarks have had their red on for the last couple days in support of the San Francisco 49ers, who will face the Green Bay Packers this evening in a playoff game. It's a fun thought to imagine them in the Super Bowl, I mean who doesn't want to see their home team take it all? I love football, and I have been watching them closely this season. While I admit that I am first, and foremost a Philadelphia Eagles fan, but I love the 49ers too, so, in fact, I guess I have two loves in football! One on the east coast, and one right here at home!

San Francisco Mayor, Ed Lee, has made a friendly wager with the Mayor of Green Bay, James Schmitt. You can read all about it here, but I have to tell you, those cheese curds sound terrifically delicious! I bet it would be just the thing to enjoy with with a nice, warm, freshly baked slice of bread from San Francisco bakery Boudin! I am eating a slice of their bread right now as I type this, and I can tell you... YUM!

I know the 49ers will probably win their game against Green Bay, but I have to say it has been difficult to watch their kicker, David Akers, miss so many field goals this year. But from what I have seen and heard, no one has been sadder then Akers about his performance this season. I feel for the guy, as I do for the rest of the team. I have no doubt that if he could change the past, he would. It makes me crazy that he had to actually close his Twitter account because of death threats. What the HELL is that about? The death penalty for a bad year in football? Seriously? Wouldn't you just love to know not only the work ethic of a person who would hate that much, but what about their job performance? In the world they have made in their own mind, would they be safe?

A little tidbit for all the haters to remember...

On September 9th, 2012, Akers tied the NFL record for longest field goal by kicking a 63 yard field goal off the crossbar against the GREEN BAY PACKERS! So instead of acting like a fair weather football fan, how about giving the guy some support! NO ONE respects a fan who is only a fan when things are going well. David Akers has my respect for going out on the field week after week in spite of the hate!

Sometimes, America doesn't seem mature enough for football.

 :(

Come this evening, Alan and I will be cheering on the 49ers, and especially David Akers. 

Go 49ers!
Go Akers!

~Me

 NOTE: After the game I will comeback and update this post with the score.

UPDATE: It looks like San Francisco will be wearing the RED and GOLD a little longer!

San Francisco 49ers: 45
Green Bay Packers: 31

No comments: