Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fiscal, Fiscal Cliff,



"God says to me, with kind of a smile, "Hey, how would you like to be God for a while and steer the world?" "Okay," I said, "I'll give it a try. Where do I sit? What time is lunch? When can I quit?" "Gimme back the wheel," says God, "I don't think you're quite ready yet."

~Shel Silverstein

Doesn't that scene above look like a nice place to bring one's lunch to for a little respite from the world's woes? It is. In fact, it's one of my very favorite places to be at any time of the day, but at lunchtime it is especially nice, particularly when there is a tree, with some lovely autumn to it, practically glowing with leaves.

It's not such a great place however, when I can't get the tune that's been hopelessly stuck in my head for close to 3 weeks now to stop playing on a nonstop loop. It would be one thing if the tune was a song I actually liked, but it's arguably the worst song ever... Rick Dees "Disco Duck." Ugg!

I am pretty sure I am sole person to blame for it being in my head, as I made a stupid joke one day, and for whatever reason, it won't go away! You see, Alan and I were chatting about the "fiscal cliff" that everyone is nearly mad over, and how stupid it all is. Don't we all know that it will come down to the very last hour, the president and GOP will handshake on a deal with the devil, pat themselves on the back, and tell the rest of us we should all be grateful.

Isn't that about right and accurate?

Well, to be honest, we have all been here many times before. The outcome usually favors one side more than the other, and this time will be no different. Okay, I am a bit jaded at this point, I know, but should the fiscal cliff deal actually come out with even a microscopic advantage to fairness, I will be HAPPY TO SAY I WAS WRONG. I have NO problem with that. In fact, I really hope that's the case.

But what about the whole thing has that GOD AWFUL song stuck in my head? You ask.

Simple.

I made the mistake of trying to make Alan laugh by setting the whole, ridiculous "fiscal cliff, mess to the tune of... "Disco Duck." LOL. Yep, I knew I shouldn't do it, but my punchy side took over, and I ended up singing... "Fiscal, fiscal cliff. Fiscal, fiscal cliff. Try your luck, don't be a cluck. Fiscal, fiscal, fiscal fiscal cliff." Will I never learn? (Insert crossed eyes here). Sheesh. We both started laughing really hard, and it became the running joke of the day. And now it won't leave. And the only reason I can come up with is the fact that the news can't go a broadcast without mentioning the fact that the holidays are heartwarming, but isn't it too bad we might all be desperately broke come New Years Day.

I guess there is a part of me that simply NO LONGER CARES. I am tired of these made up dramas. I am tired of getting kicked in the knees and being told I should be grateful it wasn't worse. Sigh. I don't think I really care what happens anymore. It's not like voting had any impact. Neither side seems to be paying attention to what the rest of us wants. Our elected leaders have their own agendas, we mere mortals are lucky they let us in on it. Whatever "IT" is. And it's not like any of this nonsense is new or anything.

Some things never change. I am pretty sure I heard my father lament the very same things I do.

I wonder if Dad ever got so discouraged or jaded that he set it to music?

Hmmm.

Rick Dees... Disco Duck



(Singing) Fiscal, Fiscal Cliff.
 

~Me :)


1 comment:

sunflowerkat said...

So nice to get your email Carly! I will write and fill you in on things here ASAP.

This entry made me giggle but I did NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE click on the video. I recall the song but don't remember it enough to have it stuck in my head. I'd like to keep it that way!
:)