Friday, July 06, 2012

A Photo A Day For 6 Months: Day 57~ Fun With Crickets




"If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos."


~Edward O. Wilson


According to the University of Minnesota, this is a House Cricket. I just call it BLECH! When I first got my drivers license, I thought it would be fun to drive a convertible, and at 25, when I decided to go car hunting, I  considered purchasing one. I had fallen in love with the Pontiac Fiero, and was all set to buy one, when  my dad pointed out some obvious pitfalls. Rain... a lot of convertibles leak. Sunburn... so don't forget to stock up on lots and lots of sunscreen. Incontinent birds... or at least some that don't care how cool I look behind the wheel of sporty little car, when you have to go, you have to go. And the one pitfall that he knew would absolutely cause me to come to my senses... UGLY, FLYING CREATURES.


Ummm... yep. UGLY, FLYING CREATURES changed my mind. Yep. 


As I watched this House Cricket hang on to the windshield, it reminded me of that conversation dad and I had all those years ago. Since that conversation back in the 80's I have heard of more than one close encounter with a FLYING BUG. My brother-in-law was driving his truck down HWY1 one warm summer afternoon, when he was broadsided, in the left cheek, by a large dragonfly. It had a big beak, that took a huge chunk out of his face. Luckily he kept his head and was able to stop safely, but now he can't stand to be around them. Which, of course, I completely understand. Wouldn't you?


So, while I will never own a convertible, driving a hard topped car allows me to photograph moments like this one. I wasn't really thrilled that the cricket was there, but getting out my camera and getting to work on photographing it made me feel better. My camera has done a lot to alleviate my fears and phobias. It inspired me to I read a bit about this House Cricket and learn about what he was about. It's a rather interesting critter, both in actuality and in myth and lore. I am sure the HOUSE CRICKET has his place in the world, but I would rather it hadn't been on my windshield. Like I said... BLECH. LOL.


~Me :)


Today's Link...


JR
http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/07/apadf6-55.html


No comments: