Friday, July 20, 2012

A Photo A Day For 6 Months: Day 71: San Francisco Brides




"Longed for him. Got him. Shit."


~Margaret Atwood


On any give Tuesday, or Wednesday you can probably find a bride and groom, posing for romantic pictures, somewhere in San Francisco. I have had amazing luck in finding such scenes to photograph, and it always makes me a bit reflective. In the moment, I will more than likely not have much time to grab my camera, put it on the proper setting, and get the photo. My best luck has been in Golden Gate Park, at the various picturesque points, but the Palace of Fine Arts and the Legion of Honor are great spots as well. I mostly photograph the couples in color, but I think I have gotten my best scenes in black and white.


I don't ever show the faces of the brides and grooms, as I am mindful of the moment for them. But also because sometimes it isn't the couple themselves that makes the photo, but the scene around them. Of all the photos of bridges and grooms I have done over the years, this is one of my very favorites. I think there is a lot to take in. Is the man walking away from the bride, as in letting go of a lover, or is he the Best Man, and simply done fulfilling his job as the witness? Is the man more of a haunting figure? Does the presence of the man evoke a sad feeling, or one of indifference? Personally, I am not sure how it feels to me. I was there, and I know who and what he was, but I still find myself pondering the man's part in the photo 6 years after taking the photo.


So, tell me your impression. Do you like the addition of the second man in the photo? Or should I have simply cropped him out and had the photo be just about the couple? Does the second man diminish the romance of the bride and groom? Good photo? Bad photo? What was your first thought when you saw it?


Opinions. Opinions.


"I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."


~Groucho Marx


~Me :)

No comments: