Wednesday, April 07, 2010

My Date With Mr. Squishy



'The only way to keep your health, is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you would rather not."

-Mark Twain

We met a couple years ago. I don't think I would say it was love at first sight, but he left an impression on me all the same. He was tall and slender and he had me at "Hello." The big galoot said to me, "Baby, no doubt about it, I'm good for you! So I gave in to his power, and we had our rendezvous. Then he didn't call me for almost a week! Sheesh! But when he finally did follow up, he said with a smile, "Kid, you're aces!" What could I do, I knew then and there, I would meet with Mr. Squishy, at least every couple years or so! Funny how fast 2 years comes and goes!

LOL. Ok, I used a little bit of humor to share the fact that I am having my annual mammogram today, at 1:30 to be exact. I am 47 and that's just what you have to do at my age. Sheesh... "my age." What isn't too humorous is the fact that, according to the Centers for Disease Control, excluding certain types of skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in women. In 2009, there were nearly 200,000 new cases of breast cancer and a little over 40,000 deaths occurred because of it. Damn cancer! If you are 40 years or older, you should be screened for breast cancer every 1-2 years. I like the feeling of taking care of myself, so going to this appointment actually makes me feel good about being proactive with my own health.

How about you?

Have you had your mammogram this year?

Are you taking care of your health by making appointments for the necessary screenings you need?

This goes for my guy friends who read my blog, because 440 men died of breast cancer in 2009!

Take care of yourselves.

For your families, for your pets, for your co-workers, for me.

Stay my friend, stay healthy.

:)

-Carly

3 comments:

fredamans said...

Squish a boob, save a life!

I hope it went well for you! x

Lisa said...

Great way to mix humor with something, well, not so pleasant!! I am the same age as you and just had my mammy a few months ago. I'm afraid it had been 5 years since the last one. The quote by Mark Twain is so true! Glad you had good news on yours.
Lisa

Suzanne R said...

It's coming along the time for me to go see Mr. Squishy, although I can probably wait another year. My last appointment was last May. I can't believe how fast time passes! I love the way you put it! LOL!