Saturday, December 26, 2009

While Visions Of Profiteroles Danced In Their Heads

From For Ellipsis


"Food is our common ground, a universal experience."


-James Beard


It is the day after Christmas, and I am still stuffed from the holiday! LOL. I was a bad little diabetic yesterday, but it's ok, I am back on the wagon, besides, I am a good girl the rest of the year, and since being diagnosed back in 2007, I have kept my blood sugar well within the limits. In fact, my doctor added a little "KUDOS" to my last blood work statement! So, it's ok once in a while to be a bit naughty.


I decided this Christmas, with funds low in the bank, that since we weren't really in the position to spend a lot on presents, that maybe I would whip up some fun culinary treats. I remembered making Profiteroles when I was in High School, and so I thought it might be a nice way to improve on all the usual holiday treats. I found the recipe at Woman's Day. Alan had never had them, which surprised me because his mother was a professional chef. Neat, I could actually make him something he had never had before! Alan loves to cook, so he helped me whip them up on Christmas Eve! FUN!


The pastry can be stored in an airtight container for a few days, so it is really great if you have some time constraints, but they are really light and airy when they are first made, so I like them better served the day they are made. When we were ready for them, we filled them with Peppermint ice cream and topped them off with some Chocolate syrup. Delicious!


If you want to serve something for New Year's, and you are looking to replace the same old nibbles, here is the recipe...


Profiteroles (Woman's Day)


They are also good stuffed with something savory like Egg Salad or Ham and Cheese!


Happy Eating!


-Carly

1 comment:

Jama said...

That sure looks yummy! I'm salivating here just looking at the picture.