Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Healing Properties Of The Common Orange Tabby Yam

From For Ellipsis


"A cat pours his body onto the floor. It is restful just to watch him."

-William Lyon Phelps

From For Ellipsis


Ever since I brought my Dylan home, I have referred to him as my "YAM." He is orange, quiet, and at times... potato-like. Sweet Potato-Like. LOL. He is such a different cat then Hendrix. Oh don't get me wrong, both of them are little love bugs, but both are very independent, in very different ways. Hendrix is a little more self assured and outgoing. He knows almost NO FEAR! Dylan, when frightened, becomes almost paralysed. He is affectionate, but usually in a much quieter manner. Where Hendrix is a lot more demonstrative with affection, Dylan will stay by my side, and sometimes ask me to play or maybe just sit in the sun with him as a show of affection.

He had been through a lot before we me, and was the child of a little homeless cat who had been turned out into the world. She was removing her kittens from the their nest, similar to the way birds give their babies a nudge into the world, when it happened. See, she didn't understand the ways of the world, and was hit by a car before she could go back for Dylan. Knowing cats the way I do, I am sure she saw that he was insecure and frightened, so she was probably going to keep him with her a little longer as cats do sometimes. I am still so sorry that she passed away, clearly she was a good momma who loved her little orange **Sweet Potato** tabby. I hope wherever she is, she knows how much I love our boy!

Cats are a gift to we humans good health. Cat owners have a significantly lower risk of having a heart attack, stroke or contracting certain types of cancer. Click on the link below, to read all about the health benefits of being owned by a cat... or two! LOL.

**Cats And Good Health: How Owning A Cat Aids Your Well-Being


In retrospect, I suppose I should have just called him "YAM." LOL. But Dylan is good too!

-Carly


4 comments:

Suzanne R said...

Sweet "Yam"! I enjoy hearing about your kitties!

Martha said...

Try 4 - I think they are the ones that are going to give me the heart attack, LOL! Just kidding of course - well except when one of them jumps out at my ankles at 2am when I'm on my way to the bathroom, or when one of them decides to groom my eyebrows for me at 3am, or deciding my toes hanging off the edge of the bed must be killed at 4am! Need I go on? ;-)
I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Jama said...

He's so cute! Orange tabbies are quiet commonly found here, there's 2 tabbys I saw this morning while on the way to the market .

Anonymous said...

He's a beautiful orange tabby! I have a grey tabby and she brings much love into my life. :)