Friday, May 29, 2009

The Facts As They Are

From For Ellipsis


"Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

-Proverb

Life happens. I remember a conversation I had once with someone that brought both of us to the same conclusion that life moves you through doors whether you want to go or not. It just does. Why am I contemplating this right now? Well, you see a few days ago I posted an entry about big changes coming to my life. A new bed, a possible new move to a bigger apartment. You know... life changes. Well, the bed is written in stone. Alan and I are getting the new bed, but the new apartment upgrade is something that will just have to wait. I was sitting on the fence about it because there is just too much going on to feel secure in a move, you see, Governor Schwarzenegger is proposing yet another pay cut for state workers. If it is approved, it will mean that Alan will be losing another 5% from each month's check, which will mean that we are making 15% less then we were a year ago.

Sigh.

I don't have the same worries I did year ago. No cat dying of cancer. No trying to beat the cancer with expensive chemotherapy. No worries about losing my current apartment, as I know that the owner of the property will work with us. She likes us a lot. A fact I found out this week. It makes me smile to think there is one more person who likes me. It's a good feeling. And a secure one. I do have two new little mouths to feed, but we considered all that when we got them, after Elvis's death. We will be ok, but we will be cutting things really close.

All in all it's ok. We don't eat out much, and we grow a lot of our own veggies in the summer and autumn. We do love our Starbuck's, but I can make my favorite drink here at home. Just as good. In fact, if we have to give up our favorite guilty pleasure, Starbuck's, then maybe I will use the time to create some new sinful beverage that Starbuck's doesn't even serve! LOL. Take that bad times... YOU CAN'T STOP ME! LOL. It's times like these that I try to keep the words to the Sheryl Crow song, "Soak Up The Sun" in my brain, especially the part about "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have."

Sing it with me...

Soak Up The Sun
By Sheryl Crow

My friend the communist

Holds meetings in his RV
I can't afford his gas
So I'm stuck here watching TV
I don't have digital
I don't have diddly squat
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got

[CHORUS:]
I'm gonna soak up the sun
Gonna tell everyone
To lighten up (I'm gonna tell 'em that)
I've got no one to blame
For every time I feel lame
I'm looking up o I'm gonna soak up the sun
I'm gonna soak up the sun
I've got a crummy job
It don't pay near enough
To buy the things it takes
To win me some of your love
Every time I turn around
I'm looking up, you're looking down
Maybe something's wrong with you
That makes you act the way you do
Maybe i am crazy too

[CHORUS]

I'm gonna soak up the sun
While it's still free
I'm gonna soak up the sun
Before it goes out on me
Don't have no master suite
I'm still the king of me
You have a fancy ride, but baby
I'm the one who has the key
Every time I turn around
I'm looking up, you're looking down
Maybe something's wrong with you
That makes you act the way you do
Maybe I am crazy too

[CHORUS]

I'm gonna soak up the sun
Got my 45 on
So I can rock on.

Earlier this week the governor proposed closing 80% of California's parks! 80%! California is broke, the cutbacks that are happening are affecting everyone, but things are getting really bad. What is life, without the open spaces to enjoy nature and get away from the harsh realities of things. I can't imagine the parks closing, and more folks out of work in one of the states with the highest unemployment rates. It's so sad, but, whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I remember those who have it so much worse then I do.

Even with all the uncertainty... I am a happy person.

-Carly

1 comment:

Liz said...

I was brought up by parents that told me 'I want never gets'. They taught me to say 'please may I have' at a very early age.
The 'I want it, I want it now' cry silenced good manners and good sense for a whole generation.
I am guessing that your photograph portrays a sunset, as you live on the west coast of America. Yet it could also be a dawn if it was taken from the east coast.
It is all a question of your point of view.
The sun rises with every new day and as it does we should all say thank you for what we have been given.
Perhaps if we start the day with good manners good sense will accompany us.
Stay happy my friend.