Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Welcome To The Light!

"Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved so far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.

-Senator Arlen Spector

WOW! I don't know about you, but I was shocked to hear Senator Arlen Specter's announcement this morning regarding his switch to the Democratic Party. It makes me wonder, will we be seeing more and more defections as time goes by? Has the GOP become an entity that is unrecognizable to it's own members? Is it really a clash of ideals that caused Sen. Specter to change sides, or is it due to the lack of clear and consistent leadership? Whatever the reason, Senator Specter, welcome to the light! Come on in, it's good to have you with us!

Opinions, opinions! What do you think? Will more republican senators follow Senator Specter's lead? Do you think he will be reelected in the 2010 election? And while we are on the subject of elections, do you believe that Al Frankin will ever be sworn in as the junior senator from Minnesota?

Arlen Specter



-Carly

5 comments:

Call me Paul said...

I don't know if we'll see a significant number of defections, but I'm sure this will serve as a bit of a wake-up call to the majority of the moderate Republicans that they need to step back from the edge. They need to distance themselves from the lunacy of the Christian right or they will never be politically relevant again. I don't think you'll see a Sarah Palin or Mike Huckabee again for a long time. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Sandra said...

I don't know what Minn is waiting for.... as bad as Florida, huh
Sandra

Terri said...

I wonder what ol' Rush will have to say about this. heh heh. I was pretty shocked! It certainly sends a strong message to the Repubs doesn't it? I don't know much about PA politics, but it was quite a turnaround when they went for Obama. I hope it is a trend -- the Repubs need a reality check, if the last election wasn't enough for them.

And yes, the MN thing is beyond ridiculous. It was one thing when the Repub was ahead and thought they should call it, but it's a different story when the Dem is ahead. I tell ya, these fruitcakes need their heads examined.

Charley said...

I think it's just wishful thinking on your part, Paul.

The danger facing the Repubs is that of becoming a regional party - if more defections happen they will likely be from the northeast or northwest, risking that only the middle of america remains staunchly Republican.

This would not upset me.

As for its impact, most importantly if Franken gets the nod in MN, then with Spector now in the Dem ranks the Repubs can't philibuster any legislation.

W00t!

Call me Paul said...

The problem, Charley, is that Republicanism is a political position, not a religious belief. Today's Republican party has attempted to make it into a religious belief - with no regard to which constitutional toes they trod upon. It'll be an interesting next decade in US politics if the moderates cannot wrest control of the party back from the wackaloons who currently run it. It may, as you say, become a more regional entity, and the defectors, who don't really consider themselves Democrats, will look for another alternative. The USA may become, like Canada, a multi-party political system.