Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pacific Grove Monarchs

"Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."

-Nathaniel Hawthorne

Yesterday, Alan and I made our annual trip, down the coast to Pacific Grove, also known as "Butterfly Town USA." It's called that because each year thousands of Monarch butterflies choose this small coastal town to do their overwintering in. Actually, the monarchs can be found in giant clusters all along the pacific coast, but this is one of the largest colonies. It is estimated, this year, that there are about 15,000 clustered in this grove alone. It is nothing short of majestic!

I have been going to see the butterflies in Pacific Grove for years, but this year is perhaps one of the best in terms of numbers of Monarchs. It's most peaceful way to spend a November day as I can think of, and that's why I go there, to find some peace and quiet beauty. I wish autumn never had to end, I look forward to it all year long, and it seems like it never lasts quite long enough. Sigh. If you enjoy photography, and you live in California, you must go see the butterflies of Pacific Grove!

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty."

-Maya Angelou







"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one. It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where I assume it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake - as almost all hats are."

-Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) You've Got Mail

-Carly
"Butterfly Town USA"
Pacific Grove, California
November 19th, 2008
Afternoon

6 comments:

Liz said...

Your photographs inspired me to think of the collective noun a 'flutter' of butterflies,as I would tremble with excitement if I saw such a sight :)

IndigoSunMoon said...

Oh Carly...I am absolutely amazed! I had to wake Susan up just to show her! She had two different travel nursing jobs. One in Paso Robles, and the other in Simi Valley, and she always wanted to go to Pacific Grove, but never was able to make it.
Thanks for the beautiful photos.
Connie

Nancy said...

Wow...those are way cool! I love flutterbies too...and often think of you when I see them.

Terrific quotes my friend...terrific.

Nance

gina said...

this is phenomenal!!! how beautiful and what an exciting experience....well, it would be for me, and i bet it's something you don't tire of either. :)

Jan AKA Wammy said...

I have always wanted to witness this. A friend went to Belieze and had the same experience. Amazing just isn't the right word!

Martha said...

Wow!! So cool! Thanks for sharing these photos with us! I've never seen anything like it!