Thursday, July 31, 2008

Surreal Moments

"Tough times are there so you can have a good time later on and really appreciate it."

-Unknown

Saying Thank You...

First of all, I want to tell everyone I am sorry for the delay in thanking all of you for the many comments and emails I have received. I want to say an especially big thank you to Connie, who authors the blog, "Thoughts On My Life And Other Mindless Chatter," and her readers, who have been especially supportive to me in the last 48 hours. Connie has been my good friend, through good times and bad, for so long, I can't even remember when we first met, but I do know that she was brightening my life when I was still in the early days of AOL Journals.

I also want to thank Steven and Karen for their continued support. They have also been with me since the wee old days, and their friendship means a lot to me. As you probably know, they are also my teammates for the Round Robin Challenges. Things are so up in the air for me right now, it is good to know that both of them are willing to fill in for me should I have to go offline. Giving up the Internet as a whole won't particularly devastate me, what will be sad is the loss of creativity I see all around me. The RR Challenges mean a lot to me, it is a project I hold very dear as I have watched it grow and blossom over time. It might sound silly, but I really do look forward to every other Saturday, and what the Robins will come up with next. I have given them the go ahead to replace me, if need be. I don't expect them to pull up my slack indefinitely, and I will be much happier knowing it's in good hands. One less thing to worry about.

Options...

Dr. B was all set to give Elvis his chemotherapy the other day, when we got a call telling us that Elvis's blood level was not where it should be. That is a normal occurrence with chemotherapy, sometimes the chemo is done every 3 weeks, and sometimes it is every 4. In this case, Elvis will be, more then likely, be able to have his chemo next week, which probably buys us another week or so with him. We are literally taking things on a week by week basis. The best news for right now is that he isn't in any pain, no facial distortions are taking place and because of the additional medication Dr. B gave him the other day he is sounding a lot better, and is able to purr again. I can actually hear him purr. It's music to my ears. Lovely music. So, with some fingers crossed, I might have as much as 3 more weeks with him. The miracles continue to happen, thanks to a lot of prayers from some really special people. Including Dr. B.

Dr. B is an extraordinary man. He has done everything, just everything he could possibly do to make it all easier. He has counselled us, and told us everything we needed to know upfront. He has cut corners for us, and then cut even more corners for us. So much so that really he should be made a saint. Truly. He is so good to Elvis. I know, I know, he is a veterinarian, so why wouldn't he be? Well, to be honest, I have met one or two vets over the years who really shouldn't have chosen that as their life's work. Dr. B was born to be a veterinarian. We have that important agreement still in place, the one that says it is now time to say goodbye. He will tell us when it is time, but something he said one time leaves me with some hope... "We won't lose this cat to time or money." So there's hope.

What About The Budget?...

As of this morning, the executive order had not been signed. It may take place later today. If and when it happens, I will post a special entry to let everyone know what's going on. Back during the Wilson administration, there was a budget fiasco which resulted in Alan working for no pay, while the politicians duked it out. He was eventually paid his salary, but let me tell you, working for no pay was a difficult time for us. At that time we had some money saved, so we rode it out, but I can only imagine what it was like for folks with children to feed.

Alan and I know several people who have no idea what to do. Gas prices at an all time high, and little mouths to feed at $6.55 per hour. So while things are dire for us, please also consider the folks who have children and elderly to care for. Also disturbing to me is the vendors who haven't been paid since July 1st. The Sacramento Bee has one such story about the, Superior Produce Company, which supplies fresh fruit and vegetables to the California Prison system. Fresh fruit and vegetables are a necessity to life, not a luxury, so to deny it is in my opinion a crime in itself. The men and women in the California prison system could use your prayers and good thoughts as well.

Get A Room...

I am damn tired of the latest political bantering of John McCain and Barack Obama. Shut up. Deal with real issues. As things stand right now, I don't see myself voting for my democratic nominee, and you already know that for me, John McCain was NEVER an option, although I was willing to listen. No more. Barack Obama has all but lost me. It's really likely that I won't vote this coming November. And before you say that if I don't vote, I can't complain. Yes I can. Freedom of Speech gives me the right to complain. I will not vote for the lessor of two evils. I will give it another month, or until I am forced to leave the Internet before I decide what I will do in November. Barack Obama is on my sidebar for now, but there is a good chance he won't be their for long. Hey guys, GET A ROOM!

Well, that's about it for now. Stay tuned. Things are getting interesting!

-OndineMonet
"Surreal Moments"
Palace Of Fine Arts
San Francisco, California
Spring, 2008

4 comments:

IndigoSunMoon said...

I can't remember how long it's been that we've known each other either, but it feels like I've known you for forever.
Keep your chin up my friend. Hold tightly to the things you believe in, and know that whatever happens you are going to make it through this.
When I read what you said that Dr.B had said, I thought...well, I'm not going to even speak it. I'm just going to pray really hard that Elvis is going to be around for a very long time.
Tell Alan to hug you for me, and you hug Alan for me, and both of you give Elvis a good scratch behind the ears from Connie who loves him all the way here in Alabama.
~Connie

Patrick said...

So sorry to hear about this, Carly. I've been tied up with a major project at work, so I haven't been as good at keeping up with my blog buddies as I should have lately.

All of you are in my prayers. I know all too well how hard it is to say goodbye to a pet...and I hope Elvis is around for a long time as well.

Your vet sounds like good people to me. I'm glad Elvis is in such good hands and has such a loving home!

Anonymous said...

I am encouraged to hear what Dr. B has to say. You do have an extra wonderful vet looking after Elvis.

You, Alan and Elvis are in my thoughts and in my heart.

Anonymous said...

Continued Blessings for the 3 of you, again, most especially Mr. Elvis :)
I agree wholeheartedly about McCain and Obama ~ I'm tired of all the toilet papering of each other, it's juvenile and reprehensible in this day & age with all the turmoil this country is going through. Stick to the REAL issues or get the heck out of dodge, you know?
Again, Blessings** to you and yours,
Teresa
http://journals.aol.com/stetsonsfyre/remembering-to-exhale/