Thursday, May 29, 2008

Suspension Folk Provides Shock Absorbing Comfort

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race."

-H.G. Wells

In an effort to save money, and do our share to help out the planet, Alan and I have decided to get bicycles. After a good bit of research, we think we have found the ones for us. The Roadmaster SX Mountain Sport, in 24 inch for me, and 26 inch for Alan, and in his and hers models of pink and blue! LOL. I haven't actually ridden a bike in oh... say... 25 years or so, so this whole experiment is going to surely have some moments of hilarity to be sure. But I have heard my whole life that once you learn how to ride a bike, you never forget! LOL. Soon, I will be testing that theory... and I will be sure to report back to you! LOL.

At the moment, I am not doing much moving, as I hurt my lower right side the other day. I am hurting a little worse today, then I did yesterday, so I am thinking a call to the doctor might be in order. Sheesh. I am not even sure how this happened, but it reminds me of the time I did some damage to my rotator cuff, while unpacking Christmas decorations a couple years ago. We have been having some unseasonably cool weather, which the cat is enjoying, but which makes his mommy a lump of slow moving pain. LOL. Oh well, what's a girl to do?

Well, here's the thing. I need to get more exercise then I do. I love to walk, but when it is this cold, I ache, which makes walking nearly impossible. I am hoping that as the weather will be certainly warming up as we get closer to summer, I will take advantage of the bike, and give my legs the workout they have been needing. I loved riding a bike as a young woman. Before I learned to drive, I rode my bike all over the place, and was told once by a former love that I looked damn good on a it. Of course that was, like I said, 25 years ago or so. Things simply aren't in the same place they used to be. I am now a middle aged woman, use your imagination... or rather don't... oh heck... just take my word for it. ;)

Whether or not I still look good on a bike is really beside the point, the point is that I want to do good by me. I want to live healthier, and be able to say that I am doing my part in this crazy mess we have all found ourselves in. I am not as dependant on my car as I used to be. It disappoints me that we can't afford to take the long rides we used to. I like seeing new places, but it just isn't realistic anymore, and I really doubt things will get much better. Sigh. So, I am going to take a closer look at what's around me. Treasures I would have missed, had I not gotten a bike. Let's see what's right in front of me.

I am even thinking about getting a sidecar, which actually follows behind the bike, not to the side, for Elvis to ride in. He is a strange cat, he loves riding on things, and he even enjoys being turned around and around in a swivel chair. He would have enjoyed it if we had bought him a swing set, but who knew? Go figure! I am just considering it at this point. The following pictures are of what we have definitely decided on. I am not sure if we will make the purchase this week or next, but it's kind of fun to know we are taking these steps for our future. There is a lot to look forward to in life, and that makes all the bad news a little easier to take somehow. For the most part... I'm a happy girl.







"Suspension Folks Provides Shock Absorbing Comfort." LOL. My bum is eternally grateful for that! ;)

-OndineMonet
"Bike Shopping At Wal-Mart"
Wal-Mart
Livermore, California
May 27th, 2008
Afternoon

1 comment:

Suzanne R said...

Steve and I bought bikes quite a few years ago and on one of our first rides -- through a series of moves that rivaled Abbott and Costello -- I fell off in the driveway and broke my arm. Then we were considering riding them as just for fun so gave them away when we didn't ride them as planned. Now there are entirely different reasons for getting back on the bike (LOL), although I am about 6 miles from town and 3 miles from the nearest convenience store. It's still tempting to get one with a basket on the handlebars. But my health is a problem, so that is likely in the realm of fantasy.

I think it's great that you guys are planning to get bikes, though. It's a great idea, although I remain quite upset that my elderly aunt and uncle in Twin Falls, Idaho, feel like they are being forced to ride their bikes to get groceries in the near future. My uncle is in the early stages of Alzheimers and has had cancer.

George Bush is a jerk, indeed, as are the oil producers.