Sunday, May 25, 2008

He Made Me Laugh...




"Honestly, it's the kids that made us successful. They had a good outlook, and we made it fun."

-Dick Martin, referring to the show "Laugh-In."



It made me sad today to find out the comedian, Dick Martin, had passed away last night. It always makes me sad to hear that someone with so much talent for easing the stress and sadness of the world, has passed on. As you know, humor has saved me more then once, in fact, humor mine and others, continues to heal me in all sorts of ways. Part of what is keeping me going, when it comes to Elvis's illness, is the fact that he is a natural comic. He does something unusual or funny every single day.

Most recently he made us laugh by belching. See, he has to take a certain anti-biotic by mouth twice a day. He hates the taste, but he takes his medicine with very little complaining, however, he does get a little nervous about it, and usually swallows a lot of air, as he swallows the medicine, resulting in... well... belching. And not just little kitty belching... lion sized belching! LOL. It might sound mean, but I can't help but snicker. It's so cute, and yes, funny.

Elvis likes the sound of laughter, so after he is done with the excess air, he usually gets a little grin on his face, similar to a baby who has just passed gas, and then comes over for giggle time which included playing with his favorite mouse and a ball of yarn. There are more funny little routines he has, but I have gotten way off topic, the death of Dick Martin.

I loved watching him on Laugh-In when I was a child. Martin was the comedy to Dan Rowan's straight man. I loved his humor. I loved his facial expressions, and I loved how he interacted with the cast members and the guest stars. I especially loved the clip above, which I found in YouTube a few months back. In my opinion, it is one of the best moments out of the series. Watch it... it will make you laugh out loud. It's a classic. It is a performance of Tiny Tim, singing his uber hit rendition of, "Tiptoe Through The Tulips."

Thanks Dick Martin for making me laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

"Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it."

-Bill Cosby

-OndineMonet

2 comments:

fdtate said...

He made me laugh too. I used to love Laugh-In and you can look that up in your Funk and Wagnells.

DesLily said...

loved the show myself!.. Sorry to hear of his passing.. Rowen and Martin were a good team.. it must have been the Fickled Finger of Fate that brought them together