Monday, January 14, 2008

One Day Your Life Will Flash Before Your Eyes...



"One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it's worth watching."

-Unknown

Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? Nah, me neither. Frown. I don't know, the thing I enjoy the most about those dumb awards shows is the glitz and glamour, but with the on-going WGA strike, the ceremony was transformed into a news conference, as opposed to the usual delightfully cheesy "you like me, you really like me," "I can't believe you chose me," big todo shows. Sigh.

I can't help but think of my dear old friend June, who passed away in 2005. She used to throw these silly, yet amazing, Academy Awards parties, where all who attended were expected to dress as if they were going not just the Oscar's, but one of the parties that followed. It was fun to get all dressed up in some gorgeous gown or snazzy cocktail dress and make a big entrance. The food, the guest list and the conversation was always great fun. I miss her company a lot sometimes, and I can almost hear her saying, "I wish they would just pay those people what they are worth and get on with it." LOL. Yeah, that was June.

I am also glad I didn't bother watching last night because my favorite new comedy, Pushing Daisies, lost in it's category, Favorite New Comedy, to HBO's "Extras." I haven't actually seen the show, it might be a terrific comedy, but Pushing Daisies is nothing short of pure genius. It is fresh, and new, with a good cast,including Kristin Chenoweth, formerly of the West Wing. She is great on this show, and even treats us to an occasional song, like in a recent episode when she belted out a sweet little version of the Olivia Newton-John tune, Hopelessly Devoted To You.

Pushing Daisies hasn't been airing the last couple weeks, and I really miss it. For all it's flights of fancy, it really does have a serious underlying message. Simply, don't take your life for granted, and don't take those you love for granted either. True love is a very rare thing, about as rare as love at first sight. Relationships take work and aren't always easy, even under the best of circumstances, and remember, second chances are even rarer then love at first sight, if you ever get a second chance, you have probably found a miracle. Okay, so the shows messages aren't all that simple, but they are true.

"In love, it is better to know and be disappointed than to not know and always wonder."

-Unknown

So, if you want to share, tell me. If you could bring a certain someone back into your life, for 60 seconds, would you? And do you know what you might ask them? I have a small list of folks, some friends, maybe even a past love, who I would like to ask about a couple curiosities I have, but at the same time, I might just let the door remained closed. I am happy right now, so why bring all those old feelings back, to run free through my mind. Right? God I sound well adjusted, so strong... don't I? LOL.

Oh well, I am not going to any big Academy Awards parties this year, assuming that the show will go on, no, I will probably just put on one of my comfy nighties, and pop some popcorn and watch the show on TV with Elvis. I will miss my pal June, who would be very angry at me if I ever considered bringing her back to life for 60 seconds just to ask her what she thinks about the WGA strike. LOL. I am pretty sure if I ever did that, I wouldn't have to miss her for long, I would be right there with her... Pushing Daisies! LOL. She would have loved that show!

"Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today."

-James Dean

Pushing Daisies

Golden Globe List Of Winners


-OndineMonet

2 comments:

Cindy said...

were i close enough
or rich enough
to fly close enough :)
i would sit in my pj's
and watch the show with you.

i'd even bring the popcorn!

xo

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I guess I'd want to talk to Dan Cheney for a minute, but really, I don't need to. He pops up in my dreams when my "inner Dan" has something to say, and I'm not positive the real Dan isn't involved. I don't need to talk to my Mom; we said it all when she was alive.

Great show, though.