Sunday, December 02, 2007

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #193: Comfort Food

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles

Weekend Assignment #193: Share one of your favorite comfort foods. Because it's just about the time of year for them, isn't it? Getting chillier and with the cold comes the desire for warm food that makes you happy. Hello! Comfort food.

Extra Credit: Well, a picture of your favorite food would be nice, and might also make me hungry.

-John Scalzi (By The Way)

Ahh yes, comfort food! This might sound a little silly, but right about this time of year I get hungry for what I call "Bachelor Food." You know, Macaroni and Cheese, English Muffin Pizzas, and of course Beans and Franks, which you see pictured above. I love it! I used to make it with different types of sausage, but this version is a lot healthier. I made it with vegetarian baked beans, low calorie barbecue sauce, and chicken franks. Still yummy, and slightly less devastating to my current health regimen. :) It was really cold outside the night I made this, and let me tell you, it's hearty goodness really hit the spot. :)

Another comfort food is homemade cookies. I love cooking, and baking this time of year, there is nothing like the smell of a freshly baked cooking coming from the kitchen. I made a batch of Chocolate Chip Cinnamon cookies this weekend, and they came out really chewy and chocolaty good, but on Tuesday of this week I am planning to make some Hanukkah Sugar cookies. Yum. There is a lot of other culinary comfort food yumminess I have planned for this week. Sweet Potato Pie, Corned Beef and Cabbage, Cheese turnovers etc, all of which I can have, just in moderation. That's the key to comfort food, and all food really, moderation. :) Go Comfort Food! :)

"Never eat more then you can lift."

-Missy Piggy

Extra Credit: See above. :)


-OndineMonet
"Beans and Franks"
Berkeley, California
December 2nd 2007
Early Evening

3 comments:

Liz said...

Mmmmmmm...franks & beans followed by chocolate chip cookies! Drool! Actually, everything you've mentioned sounds good to me. Need to go get a big glass of ice cold chocolate milk ~ 1 of my "comfort foods!"

Hugs,
~Aunt Nub~

Cindy said...

Guess what?

I can't remember ever having franks & beans. I swear. I like beans, like franks too...just eat them on seperate occasions. :) funny! My comfort food? I think it's french toast with real maple syrup!

OOOH and I know where you got that cookie mix - I would recognize that red 'market pantry' brand anywhere. my favorite store...
(Target!!)

Cookies look yummy. I think I'm hungry now, it's past lunchtime here. A salad and some cottage cheese & peaches on the menu today:)

Love you!!! Phinney

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Corned beef and cabbage! What a great idea. It's something John will eat (I just checked), that fits in with his whole low carb thing. Cool. I'll buy one tomorrow!