Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Stress Busters

"Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better."

-Robert Redford

Yum, Persimmons. I hadn't eaten a persimmon in years, until today. I had gone to the hospital to have the blood work done, that I had put off last week, and as I was driving into the parking lot I remembered that there is a Farmer's Market there every Thursday. Wonderful locally grown fruits and vegetables, in all their yummy gloriousness, just sitting in the warm autumn sun, waiting to be snatched up by a woman like me. I was STARVING! LOL. My blood work was for my A1C test, and a fasting potassium and glucose check, so by the time I got to the hospital, I hadn't eaten in about 15 hours. That's a little bit long for me, and actually it is for all diabetics, as one of the first things they teach you in the health education courses I took was to never skip meals. Unfortunately, once ever 4 months, it is necessary to do just that, so that the doctor can get an accurate gauge of how I am doing with my diabetes.

Anyway, the lab technician had a difficult time with my veins, it seems they like to collapse when a needle is inserted... ouch... so needless to say, I was a bit on edge when I finally walked out of the appointment. Thank goodness, that little Farmer's Market was right by the entrance. I appreciate it that my HMO makes it available, right there on the hospital campus. They also had a nice listing of all organic farms and suppliers in the Bay Area counties.

I had a look around at the fabulous fresh tomatoes, grapes and the berries, and finally decided on a nice juicy persimmon. :) Persimmons are delicious, and like I said, it had been forever since I had one. It was a nice treat after a bit of stress. :) Is there anything better then a nice bit of fresh fruits and vegetables on a cool autumn day?






-OndineMonet
"Yum"
Union City, California
November 13th, 2007

3 comments:

Suzanne R said...

I just hate it when they can't find a vein.

I don't think I've ever eaten a persimmon. I can't remember seeing them around here -- maybe they're a California treat. I'm glad you had such a healthful bit of enjoyment at that time.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I've never had one. I'm not even quite sure what it is. Seems to me they were mentioned in kids' books of long ago as being sour or something. Daffy Duck said "Thanks for the sour persimmons, Mister." Didn't he?

(Working my way up. But first I need to go eat!)

sunflowerkat said...

I recognized the persimmon immediately but I don't think yours are the same as those I grew up with in Indiana. Ours were about the size of a cherry tomatoe and NOT good to eat "raw". But you could make wonderful baked goods with them. Have you ever had a persimmon pudding???