Saturday, November 17, 2007

Round Robin Challenge: Offer Three And Shoot One


"The artist must create a spark before he can make a fire, and before art is born, the artist must be ready to be consumed by the fire of his own creation."

-Auguste Rodin

I LOVE the idea Steven came up for our current challenge. "Offer Three And Shoot One." We are always needing ideas for upcoming Round Robin challenges, and the way he structured this challenge, we not only get some new idea submissions for the challenge pool, but we got to have a little creative freedom, in that we got to choose our own topics this week! It was just a great idea all around!

The idea I chose to share here is, Public Art. The sculpture in the above photo is titled, "Pax Jerusalem." It is by artist, Mark di Suvero. It sits in front of the Legion of Honor, in San Francisco. Personally, I really like this piece, but unfortunately, it has been met with some disdain by those who find it mediocre at best. What do you think? Do you find it pleasing to the eye? What about the color? What about the symmetry? Tell me what you think. :)

Now, here are my ideas for some possible upcoming challenges...

1. Public Art.
Every town across America has something artsy about it. Most cities have a public art program, although it may take a little bit of research to find where all the displays are located. My idea is to seek out the artsy side of the towns we live in or near, post the photo or photos and maybe write a short description of the art and the artist. If there is currently no display of Public Art in your area, then show us how your town decorates to invite visitors to your area. Banners, Welcome signs, etc.

2. Landmarks.
Again, lets take an opportunity to show off our hometowns. I live in the Bay Area, so I have no real shortage of recognizable landmarks, so what I would do is try to show those landmarks in an interesting lighting circumstance, such as a sunset, or under special lighting conditions. But I want to see other places, and the landmarks that make those places so special. A beautifully designed building, an incredible bridge, or a monument of some sort, or maybe even an unusual road sign. It's all good!

3. Food Glorious Food!
We are coming up on the holidays, and lets face it, we all have food in our homes. With the weather beginning to turn to those cold, rainy days, I thought it might be nice to come up with a challenge that we didn't have to necessarily leave the house for. So, take a photo of a lovely meal, you either fix for yourself or your family. You can do one plate or the whole meal. If you want to, you can include a special garnish, and even include a recipe if you feel like sharing, but make the presentation special and inviting to the eye. :) YUM.

Okay, those are my ideas for the future. You know Robins, we can't do it without you, so keep sending in your ideas! Now, go and see what Steven, and all the participating Robins have come up with. It's easy. Just follow the links below. :) You know you want to. ;)


-OndineMonet
"Pax Jerusalem"
Legion of Honor
San Francisco, California
March 30th, 2005
Afternoon

Linking List

1. Steven... (sometimes photoblog)
POSTED!

2. Carly... Ellipsis
POSTED!

3. Marie... Photographs and Memories Too
POSTED!

4. Nancy... Nancy Luvs Pixs
POSTED!

5. Vicki... Maraca
POSTED!

6. Karen... Outpost Mavarin
POSTED!

7. Gina... Gina's Space
POSTED!

7 comments:

MyMaracas said...

Great ideas! I especially like the food one. Always wondered why magazine food photos look so much better than mine. This will be a chance to do some experimenting.

And yes -- I like the sculpture too.

:-)
Vicki

Anonymous said...

wonderful ideas! so many great ideas at once stirs the emotions and motivation. lol as for the sculpture...well the boldness of color and design certainly demand one's attention and the fact that it has been a source of controversy would say that it's successful. i'm sorry to say, however, that it doesn't really appeal to me.

MariesImages said...

Great ideas....except the last one...I hate food! Hate to look at it , smell it, taste it...can you tel I am on a diet??? Ü
This was a fun challenge~
Marie

Steven said...

Food! Yeah I could for a challenge on food. Public is is a great one. Your photos of the art on display around your town certainly has changed how I view the art I encounter around here. You have better artists though!

Neat looking sculpture!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Okay, I'm already starting to plan my response to these! And I like that sculpture - don't love it, but it's okay. I can see the ecclesiastical Pax symbol (kind of a P and a cross) in it. Interesting!

Suzanne R said...

For some reason I couldn't get my head around this challenge -- it was a great idea, but I think I've had too many outside things going on. You have come up with some super Challenge topics! The Public Art one reminds me of a former Portland mayor, Bud Clark, who had himself photographed from the back, with his raincoat open, in front of a statue, and the caption to the photo was: "Expose yourself to art." LOL!

sunflowerkat said...

I've been reading the ideas that are being suggested and boy, am I blown away! I am going to try really, really, really , really hard to get back with you all. I think you have a lot of fun in store. Thanks to you, Karen and Steven for keeping this fresh!

XOXO