Saturday, October 27, 2007

Cooking In Autumn

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating."

- Luciano Pavarotti

Day 9 Of The 13 Diabetic Days Of Halloween.

I love cooking in autumn. Desserts have been a favorite in past years, but this year I have been really interested in new main dish meals. Alan and I really enjoy hearty, home style type dinners like pot roast, stews and meatloaf. So, while we were discussing what to have for dinner one evening, a couple weeks ago, we decided to get our creative on, and expand on a basic meatloaf. There is nothing like a long drive in the country to make me feel creative.

After we both made a few suggestions back and forth, we finally decided on a ground turkey meatloaf, stuffed with Gorgonzola cheese, and spinach. It was really easy, and if I do say so myself, it was delicious. The cheese gave the whole meatloaf a nice flavor, and the cheese rose to the top of the meat, during cooking, which gave it a nice crust on top. I am going to play with the recipe a little more, and see if I can improve it, but for right now, it is pretty darn good. :) By the way, I figured in all the calories, and sliced a portion of 1/8 of the meatloaf. It came to about 375 calories, and had a nice green salad on the side. My dinner was under 450 calories. :) Good eating, and good for my diabetes.

Carly's Spinach Meatloaf
(Alan calls it GorGonGobbleLoaf)


2 lbs. Ground Turkey or Chicken
2 slices extra sourdough bread (chopped into crumbs)
1 pkg meatloaf seasoning, (Lawry's is what I use)
4 oz, chopped Gorgonzola cheese
1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach (thawed to room temperature and drained if necessary).

Directions

Mix ground turkey and meatloaf seasoning in a bowl according to package directions. Separate the mixture in half, and set aside. Put half the mixture in a medium sized baking dish, and put the thawed spinach on top. Next, add the crumbled cheese and top with the remaining meatloaf mixture. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until meat thermometer inserted directly into the meatloaf reads 190, or until it is no longer pink. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours.



Note: Different meatloaf seasonings call for different additions, such as milk or eggs. Any seasoning package will work fine for this meatloaf.

I will have more recipes later next week. :) Stay Tuned.

-OndineMonet
"Harvest Meatloaf"
Woodside, California
October, 2007
Evening

1 comment:

Liz said...

Oh Carly....that looks delish! I might just have to try making it myself, but with my own twist. I'll let ya' know how it turns out & what my "twist" is!

Hugs,
~Aunt Nub~

www.purpleauntnub.blogspot.com