Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Round Robin Challenge: The Road Less Traveled

"A person without a sense of humor, is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road."

-Henry Ward Beecher

"The Road Less Traveled"

I just love this photo. I know some of you have seen it before, but I thought it might be fun to show it off again. :) I first found this street about 10 years ago, when I was out for a ride in the East Bay hills. I thought is was so amusing. If you look very close, you will see, one sign says, "Not A Through Street," while the other sign says, "One Way." This is so metaphoric. Now tell me, how many "roads" have you gone down in life, that you wouldn't allow you a way back? If the folks who live at the top of this hill drive up the hill to their own homes, they would be breaking the law to come back down the hill. So going strictly by the letter of the law, there is now way out! LOL. Now I am assuming that the local police doesn't actually enforce this certain legality... but personally... I wouldn't push it. I imagine this is a true, "Road Less Traveled." :)

Our newest member of the Round Robins, Vicki, author of the blog, "Maraca," has chosen "The Road Less Traveled," for our last challenge. Well, actually, it's not our last challenge, it is just the last challenge we will be doing in the sidebar rotation format. If you have been paying attention, you already know that beginning at the end of the summer, the Round Robin Challenges will be doing things a little different. We will no longer be following the list of Robins on the sidebar to find our challenges. We are now asking all Round Robin members to submit their ideas for upcoming challenges. Everything else is the same. Karen, Steven and I will still be taking turns bringing you a new challenge every other Wednesday. All you have to do is send us your ideas, subjects or themes. You can submit as many times as you want, and if we use your idea we will still feature you and your blog that week. Come on Robins... we can't do it without you... send in your ideas! :)

Be sure to visit all of our participants for our current challenge...

Linking List

1. Vicki... Maraca
POSTED!

2. Steven... (sometimes) photoblog
POSTED!

3. Karen... Outpost Mavarin
POSTED!

4. Janet... Fond Of Photography
POSTED!

5. Renee... Ode to the Muse
POSTED!

6. Dallas... Dallas Miao'd **Welcome New Member**


7. Brandon... A Visual Experiment **Welcome New Member**
POSTED!

8. Carly... Ellipsis
POSTED!

9. Kerrin... A New Day, A New Photo
POSTED!

10. Gattina... Keyhole Pictures
POSTED!

11. Nancy... Nancy Luvs Pics
POSTED!






-OndineMonet
"The Road Less Traveled"
Hayward, California
Circa 1997

8 comments:

Gattina said...

The picture indeed is very nice and also funny ! Sometimes signs are so stupid, lol ! I love the proverb about humor, that's so true. Of course I will suggest some words and submit them !

MyMaracas said...

LOL Love this photo. That sign is a hoot -- and I would think that would indeed be a road rarely traveled.

Vicki

Steven said...

That is funny :-) I'd be afraid to travel down on that road!

Anonymous said...

That is such a funny photo, its the first time I've seen it.

Nancy said...

Oh Carly...that is excellent! I love seeing contradictions like that...and believe me they are abundant!

Well done.

By the way, I'm now on the linking list!! ; )

Hugs,
Nancy

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I assume the red curb means you can't stop and park, either! Abandon hope, all ye who drive up here....

kmm said...

Love this sign. A road sign in the next town from me says "This is not the road to New South Wales." So many people were going down it by mistake, they had to put up the sign.

Anonymous said...

I love that shot and the quote as well...so very true!