Sunday, July 22, 2007

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots



"Brain cells create ideas. Stress kills brain cells. Stress is a bad idea."

-Fred Saunders

Hi everyone. :) Thanks so much for the comments and emails of support. :) It means a lot. Ok, yeah, I certainly did have my pout on yesterday, didn't I? Well, I am better today. I am getting used to the thought of having the surgery, and how much better I will feel when I have recovered. My first thought when things go wacky, is that I am not sure I will be able to make it through it. Those thoughts come from growing up in a family who fully embraced the negative in life. I have learned to retrain the thoughts, and for the most part I am a positive person, but some times I get overwhelmed, especially if a difficult situation comes at me out of the blue. That's what happened when I found out about the possibility of surgery... it was out of the blue. It usually only takes me 24 hours or so to work it through in my thoughts, and I begin to see things in a new, and sometimes, brighter light. It does help a lot to have your comments and feedback. While I don't usually like to bring my negative moods to Ellipsis, it helps more than I can say to let myself share moments when I am hurting or frightened. You remind me I am not alone.

In a complete change of subject. I am absolutely exhausted. Last night, Alan and I came across several LARGE infestations of ants throughout the house. I don't understand it, they came up so quickly, and there was a ton of them. I was sitting on the bed playing with Elvis at 8:00 PM, we spent about 30 minutes playing, and then I got up to watch a program on TV, when I went back into the bedroom, to change for bed, I saw that the entire top of the bed was covered with ants. Just an hour earlier, there wasn't even one. It was a miserable night trying to get rid of them. Just as we got one area taken care of, we would find a cluster somewhere else. Alan and I finally gave up, and went for a ride very late last night, just to get away from the smell of ant spray. This seems like a new type of ant, it is very aggressive, and they are really fast movers. Stupid bugs. After we got home, Alan and I fell into bed, and got a nice, long, delicious sleep in, only to wake up to several more clusters. We fought them pretty hard yesterday, then sat down to a nice meal of Chinese take out. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... comfort food for the weary soul! :)

As stressful as the ant situation was, Alan and I kept each other laughing. We do that. When we are stressed, we tend to bring the humor out in each other. We laughed all day, as we engaged in battle with the enemy. At one point, we were laughing so hard, we were both holding our sides in pain. Doesn't that just make your day? Getting a good solid, punchy humor going? :) I have no idea what made me think about it, but for some reason, that old kid's game, "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots," came to mind. When I was a little girl, I had a best friend Mike, and he had a set of the robots. Mike was great fun. I miss him a lot, even to this day, but it is a fun memory I have of he and I occasionally playing "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots." Gosh the toy market has changed since I was a little girl. Everything now is so high tech. It's a shame really, because those silly little toys from when I was a child, were wonderful. Toys from back then, were not nearly as sophisticated as they are now, but there was a charm to them that you really don't see very often anymore. Sigh. Mike and I used to laugh and laugh at that game. Even as a little girl, I knew the importance of humor. :) I found the retromercial for them on YouTube, and it really made me laugh, and it was good to remember Mike. It was like having him here with me. :) I feel better now. :)

-OndineMonet

2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

We haven't had extreme antage like that, but John has been bitten by a few ants, I pulled one off my shirt last night, and poor Tuffy has had a few between her toes. Ouch!

MyMaracas said...

Woah, major bummer. We used to get ants every spring, earwigs every summer, and spiders every fall. We found keeping a band of Diazinon granules sprinkled around the entire foundation took care of it, but I think they've outlawed the stuff now. Maybe a garden center would have an alternative?

And I know what you mean about the toys. Having no daughters, I got sulky every Christmas because I couldn't wrap up an Easy Bake Oven. I loved that thing.