Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Green Ice

"Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words. They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty and their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning."

-Lydia M. Child



OK, so I lied. LOL. I said I wasn't going to post any more photos of my garden until the autumn, when every thing should be in full glory bloom, but I have added a few things to the garden that I am thrilled with, so I thought I might do just one more entry to share my progress. :) I have added several more containers of flowers, the star of which is the Green Ice rose I purchased the other day at Home Depot. It is one of the most beautiful mini roses I have ever seen. Of the mini class, it is the largest, with nice full blooms, which are green on the outer petals, and a soft pink toward the middle. I was going to just grow the 6 types of minis I had purchased this year, and add a few more next year, but when I saw it other other day I was stunned. It is gorgeous. I literally smile every time I set out to the garden. :)

Watching these flowers grow has been so good for me. I am stressed about stuff that I have no real control over, like the war, and the fact that nearly 6 years after 9/11, we are not any safer then we were on 9/10. I think about what the next strike will be like, will it come on a day like the last one? A day when there isn't a cloud in the sky? Will it happen when I am in Golden Gate Park, relaxing in the fresh air? Will it happen like the last time, while I am asleep in my bed, sleeping peacefully? When all those overwhelming thoughts creep into my thoughts, I usually grab my CD player, and the gardening bucket I made, and go to my garden to sit among it's beauty. Sigh. It's good for my soul.

I also daydream about what I want to do for the garden next spring. I think I have picked out the roses I want for next season. I think I might buy some roses online next year, I found a couple nice sites, Nor'East Miniature Roses, and John's Miniature Roses. I know for sure I want to add some lavender roses, and maybe a couple white ones, but I am also considering the following colors...

1. Behold - yellow
2. Vista - deep lavender
3. White Chocolate - white
4. Sweet Revenge - orange
5. Snow Ruby - red/white

Right now, assuming all of my plants make it to autumn, my garden will consist of...


Columbine, mini roses, dark sunflowers, cosmos, poppies, dahlias, stock, a wildflower mix, four 'o clocks, butterfly flower, and campanula. It's going to be colorful, and by the time I get the scarecrow up, it should be an autumn extravaganza. Fingers crossed. I have had a few bumps along the way. Like when I found a rather round little robin feasting on my cosmos, just as it was coming in nice and full. Wacky bird. :) I have replanted, so we'll see. I have some guarded optimism for the cosmos. The latest touch was to put my Mylar dragonfly balloon on the fence, just to look over things when I can't make it out to the garden. As always with Fibromyalgia... some days are better then others, but that silly garden sure helps to lift my spirits. :)

I have had this song in my head all day, it's so pretty, enjoy!

Lose Your Way
By Sophie B. Hawkins

I have no confidence
And I can't see why I should
But I could do most anything for you
And you know I would

I try too hard, and then I give up way too easily
I'm the runner up inside of you, and your the winner inside of me

Lose your way
And I will follow
Here today
And here tomorrow
Like my freedom I know
I'll never let you go

I still wish on an even star
And I suppose I always will
Every child loses something a while can't fulfill
And when you cry I feel the sky burst open in my veins
If loving you makes a slave of me, then I'll spend my whole life in chains

Lose your way
And I will follow
Here today
And here tomorrow
Like my freedom I know
I'll never let you go
Walk the line
I'll walk beside you
Change your mind
Let your love decide you
It's the reason I know
You'll never let me go

Isn't that a beautiful song? :)

-OndineMonet
"Green Ice"
Berkeley, California
July 16, 2007
Afternoon

No comments: