Monday, March 05, 2007

As Of February 28th, 2007

"I've decided to cut out the part of the speech where I say anything nice about Democrats."

-Ann Coulter

I wasn't going to address the latest mean spirited pearls of wisdom that came pouring out of conservative political commentator Ann Coulter's mouth this past week, but I can't help it, the woman offends me on all levels, and sometimes, I just have to say exactly what's on my mind. Ann Coulter doesn't belong in the public eye, she is the worst possible influence on our young people, especially the young women of this country, and her kind of hate will only further widen the painful tear this country has suffered. Does she have a right to freedom of speech, of course she does, but it should be stifled at hatred. What constitutes a hate crime anyway. Are mere words enough to be charged, or do you actually have to inflict bodily injury? Her most recent attack, this past week on former North Carolina Senator, John Edwards, is not by far the most heinous words every spoken by Coulter, does anyone remember this bit of nonsence?

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by griefparrazies. I have never seen people enjoying their husband's deaths so much."

-Ann Coulter, referring to the widows of the victims of 9/11.

In her attack this past week, in front of an audience at the annual, Conservative Political Action Committee, Ann had this to say about Edwards...

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, but it turns out you have to go to rehab if you use the word, "faggot."

Shameful. Republican Presidential candidates, John McCain and Mitt Rommey, where quick to distance themselves from the remarks by Coulter, so I have to wonder, who was sitting in the audience, and who found it so funny? It bothered me that laughter could clearly be heard after her remarks. What kind of person would laugh at such idiocy? I have many conservative friends who I have a great deal of respect for. We have been able to share our opposing views, without bending to this type of hatred. I have learned from them, and I would like to think they have learned a little from me. In a perfect world.

It seems to me that as long as someone, somewhere, welcomes the likes of Ann Coulter to speak at universities, and rallies, and talk shows, the longer we will have an air of misinformation too available. We live in times like never before. Times when it seems like every country in the world has their finger on the trigger. God I hope I am wrong about that. Things in Iraq are NOT improving, they are getting worse. Walter Reed Hospital, in Washington, was supposed to be the flagship of care for our wounded men and women who have returned home from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. What kind of a conscience allowed them to live in such deplorable conditions? Who dropped that ball? We have problems way too devastating on American soil, to be taking up our time giving our attention to a person or persons consumed with hatred. Ann Coulter is a person, consumed with hatred. I wonder sometimes, if my conservative friends cringe when she speaks. Shrug. To be truthful, that is none of my business, that is between them and their conscience.

There is interest in the next presidential election, like never before. I have to say, I admire Edwards for not lowering himself to Coulter's level, by slinging a slur back in her face. That is what I am looking for in a candidate. Someone who can see ignorance for what it is, and remain calm under the circumstances. Someone who recognizes the true needs of America, which is to feel safe and prosperous on our own soil, and to be able to provide for our families. Someone who will bring an end to the national nightmare, that is the Iraq war. It would be nice to have someone in office who will actively pursue Osama Bin Laden... remember him? It would be nice to know that the young men and women we are trying to woo into the armed services, will have the proper care as veterans. America needs to be fixing the existing problems we suffer with right here in America. Bigotry, health care, literacy, living wages, the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast. You know the list. How long do we want to be updating our memorials? Do we have time for the influence of Ann Coulter? Do we have time to continue to hold her up as any kind of positive example?


Your turn, you tell me, is Ann Coulter hurting, or helping America? What should our focus, as a nation, be on? Who in politics is really listening to and addressing our needs? Who, at this point, seems like they are most in touch with America? Will we every be free from the current air of division in America? When does freedom of speech go too far?

As of December 2nd, 2006



As of January 24th, 2007

In Memory Of 3154 Soldiers Killed in Iraq As Of February 28th, 2007

NOTE: The Lafayette Memorial is updated each weekend.


-OndineMonet

3 comments:

Steven said...

Ann Coulter is a distraction. That's all she's ever been and it's all she'll ever be.

Patrick said...

I wonder sometimes, if my conservative friends cringe when she speaks. Shrug. To be truthful, that is none of my business, that is between them and their conscience.

I'm not sure one's political affiliation should have any influence on whether someone cringes from the things she says. She's sort of the Anna Nichole Smith of political commentators, a person who'll say anything, the more outlandish the better, so that she can then enjoy all the attention.

Do I cringe when I hear what she has said next? Not so much. Whenever the name is mentioned, I know something outrageous is coming next.

I don't know why people listen to her, or what they get out of it. Then again, I haven't figured out the appeal of Jerry Springer, either.

But there are Democrats who are just as outrageous and hurtful, and seem to enjoy just as much saying things as wild as Coulter. I wonder why their conscious doesn't get the best of them, too.

I'm convinced that the farther one's views are skewed to the absolute edge of either side of the spectrum, the less honest and fair they're willing to be when discussing politics.

It shouldn't be that way, but it often is.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I'm hoping that this is the time when people start to wake up and see her for what she is - and turn their backs on her for good.