Thursday, January 04, 2007

Birdwatching By The Bay


"There are joys which long to be ours. God sends ten thousand truths, which come about us like birds seeking inlet; but we are shut up to them, and so they bring us nothing, but sit and sing awhile upon the roof, and then fly away."

-Henry Ward Beecher

As you can see, it was a gray day here in the Bay Area. The clouds were so thick up in the hills, it was almost like tiny raindrops were falling. The clouds and mist were beautiful, and I had a couple free hours today, so I decided to go down to a new park that has recently opened near the Port of Oakland, "Middle Harbor Shoreline Park." Santa brought me a really nice pair of binoculars for Christmas, and I gave them quite a workout. :) Lots of gorgeous water birds, including my favorite the Egret. This was my first visit to this park, I can't wait to revisit on a clear day. Because of where the edge of the park sits, it almost gives one the feeling that you could reach out and touch San Francisco. Stunning, simply stunning!

(L) Snowy Egret (R) Great Egret

(L) Great Egret (R) American Avocet

American Robin

Marbled Godwit



-OndineMonet
Middle Harbor Shoreline Park
Oakland, California
January 3rd, 2007
Afternoon

3 comments:

DesLily said...

well it sure was a good bird watching day for you!! Great shots as always Carly!!

Your Robin is nice and fat mayb about to nest?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I always love your bird shots, but then I love your Elvis shots -- ah heck, I just love your photography! ;-)

Karen Funk Blocher said...

The shore birds are great, but I love the robin shot. It always floors me how different robins Out West look from those Back East. And it's great how he's kind of peeking out of the grass.