Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Winter Decorations

"They seemed to come suddenly upon happiness, as if they had surprised a butterfly in the winter woods."

-Edith Wharton

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Show off your winter home decorations. If you've put up something seasonal (or have shots of decorations from seasons gone by) let's see what they look like. These can include lights and lawn decorations. However, don't post pictures of Christmas trees or menorahs. We'll save those for another Photo Shoot, probably next week.

-John Scalzi (By The Way)

Ut-Oh... someone said the "W" word! Winter! Well, as much as I enjoy winter, I hold onto autumn for dear life. Autumn, as you know, is my favorite season and it always seems to go by the fastest of all the seasons. Sigh. Oh well, it's kinda fun to look ahead a bit, since I have some decorations already put up in anticipation of the winter holidays of Christmas and Hanukkah and New Years. In fact, Elvis and I have matching elf hats, but I will save that for a different entry. :) Here are some decorations that mean a little something to me.

My Favorite Nutcracker

Christmas in Downtown Berkeley, California

Frosty The Snowman & Friend

Heirloom Elves :)

The elves, aren't just decorations, they are family heirlooms. The green one is Alan's, and was his official ornament since he was a little boy. The red one is mine, and was given to me by my mother-in-law, for Christmas in 1990, which was mine and Alan's first Christmas as married's. :) She had bought a big set of elves when Alan, and his siblings were children. After each of her children was married, she handed out an elf to each new family member. The Christmas when she and Alan handed me my official elf, is one of my very favorite memories. :)


-OndineMonet
Berkeley, California
December 4th, 2006
Evening

3 comments:

DesLily said...

awww.. the heirlooms are precious for sure! It's always so great to look at something and have a good memory come to mind.

Anonymous said...

Carly -

Lovely entry!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I like that Nutcracker's wooden face. An Ooh! I like that star hanging from the street sign. And ooh! Those elves! Yes indeedy!