Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Pumpkins!

"Men are like pumpkins. It seems like all the good ones are either taken or they've had everything scraped out of their heads with a spoon."

-Anonymous

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Show us your Halloween pumpkins! This year's pumpkin is preferable, but if you've not managed to yours this year, go ahead and pick one from your photo archives. Remember also that just because it's called the Monday Photo Shoot doesn't mean you can't turn in a picture on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. So, if you haven't gotten a pumpkin yet - there's still time!

-John Scalzi (By The Way)

I love Halloween...but then you already knew that, right? :) On the table, in the photo, you see four pumpkins, but only one of them will be the official Halloween pumpkin for the Gordon house. The two small ones will be used as "protection pumpkins." One will guard the front door, and the other one will protect the back door. See, I read somewhere that you should put a small, uncarved pumpkin at your door, to protect you the rest of the year. My protection pumpkins usually last through mid-summer, if I keep them out of the direct heat of the day. It's kinda nice to have that bit of fresh autumn around to lift my spirits. :) After I discard them, I place two small pumpkin candles on a table near my front and back door, until October 23rd, which is the official pumpkin purchasing day in our household. If we grow them ourselves, we pick them on that day and place them accordingly. Tee Hee... there are rules to these things!

The pumpkin on the left is going to be used as a baking shell for a recipe I have for Beef Stew. The pumpkin is used as a terrine. It is absolutely delicious. YUM. So, that leaves the pumpkin on the right to serve as our Jack-O-Lantern for 2006. That is what I will be doing tonight, gutting him and preparing him for the big day! He doesn't have his face quite yet, so I think what I will do is update this entry to show you his metamorphosis throughout the week! So, to begin with, you have the basic pumpkin, purchased this year in Half Moon Bay, California. Pumpkin capitol of the Bay Area! Come back each day to see his progress...

Mr. Pumpkin... Day 1


Day 2... Innerds

Also

Day 2 Making A Face... Halloween... It's Time To Shine!




-OndineMonet
"A Pumpkin's Life"
Berkeley, California
October 30th 2006

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I am intrigued with the idea of pumpkin flavored beef stew. And John put our pumpkin out the door last night without carving it first. Are you saying he did it right? ;)