Saturday, October 28, 2006

Well Did Ya? :)

"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."

-Nancy Reagan

Yes, that's right. I am officially home. :) I had a wonderful time, so much so, that I considered staying on permanent vacation. I didn't realize how tired I was. I took my laptop with me to Nevada, so I would be able to post a picture or two from my travels, but when I got to the hotel I found out that there would be an additional charge to do so. AOL isn't the most dependable service anymore. If I leave my computer for longer then 30 minutes, I usually comeback to find out that I have been dropped "due to inactivity." Now before AOL dumps me off I usually get a little question box asking me if I want to remain online, but that only works if I am within earshot of the computer.

Sigh. I pay for unlimited access, so to be kicked offline because I need to do something in another part of my house, for longer then 30 minutes, is completely annoying. With that in mind, I just couldn't bring myself to pay for the additional access charges it would have cost, to keep up to date like I do when I am home. So, a few days completely away, seemed to be what fate had in store for me. And that was a good thing I think, because I now feel a lot more refreshed and hopefully Ellipsis will seem a little fresher then it has recently.

Ok, now onto the question of the week. Did you remember to wear pink? Have you been thinking pink? I wore my pink yesterday, and I promised to share, so I will. I wore a favorite fuzzy pink sweater, and pink under-things. All to promote Breast Cancer Awareness. Now of course no one knew I was wearing my pink undies, but I did, and there is nothing like wearing pretty under-things to make a girl feel good. I was also wearing a pink ribbon all day, and a smile, as I greeted each person I met out in the world. At the end of the day, I mailed two important pieces of mail, my pink lids to Yoplait Yogurt, for their, "Save Lids To Save Lives," campaign, and my absentee ballot. I thought I was going to be out of town for the primary, so I took no chances and requested an absentee ballot. Voting is important to me, especially during this rather bitter primary season. Frankly, I don't remember a year quite as nasty as this one.

I was rather surprised at how dirty the politics in Nevada is. It was all the news that was fit to print while I was there. The scandal involving Republican, Jim Gibbons is pure sleaze at it's best, and in the democratic camp, opponant, Dina Titus, has her own problems. What amazed me, was the fact that the bitter, sleazy, and smarmy campaign goings on in Nevada, made the California governor's race look like child's play. Sigh. All this back stabbing, all this money poured into dirty politics, not for our benefit, but indeed, for our representatives own greedy self-promotion and personal agendas. How could I not think about how much better that money would be spent in medical research? Every dollar donated, puts us all that much closer to finding a cure to many different types of cancer. As long as we keep putting the same selfish individuals in office, we get what we get. Speaking of selfish individuals, did you happen to hear about the heartless comments made by Rush Limbaugh?

When I first heard them, I felt my stomach go into a knot. That was a new low, even for him, but then I thought about the source, and a smile came over my face. Rush, baby, just keep running your mouth. Keep saying all the heartless, arrogant, ignorant things that occur to you, because every time you do, you demonstrate to the world what is at the heart of the republican party. Attractive... isn't it? Now of course, Rush Limbaugh isn't an elected politician, and more then likely never will be, but he speaks on behalf of conservatism in America, at least as he see it, and he is an example that some in America follow. Good or bad. I support his right to speak the truth as he sees it, I just don't know how he sleeps at night, knowing that his opinion is counted on by his listeners. Freedom of speech comes with responsibility, personal attacks on others should never be accepted. Sigh. I am aware that he doesn't speak for every republican, when he says things like he did the other day, but what I don't understand is, why anyone would listen to that kind of hurtful nonsense to begin with?

Rush Limbaugh On The Offensive Against Ad With Michael J Fox

Michael J Fox Responds

Michael J. Fox Foundation

-OndineMonet
"Pink Rose"
Half Moon Bay, California
October 22, 2006
Afternoon

6 comments:

Suzanne R said...

It's great to have you back! I'm looking forward to your photos and hearing about your trip.

AOL is booting you for inactivity? That's a revolting development, because I go for long periods of time without activity on my program during the day. So far, they haven't been booting me. I wonder if they will start doing so. It is disturbing to hear they may be doing that again, after years of keeping from it here.

alphawoman said...

AOL does not boot me off. I look and sometimes my husband leaves the computer on for "756 minutes". I'm not certain I even pay for AOL anymore. Hmmmmm....I'm certain I don't. Looking forward to your pictures.

DesLily said...

the aol "boot" is only on dialup computers.. and in different areas, not all. The only way to get rid of it is to get dsl or cable. You don't want to know how often I was booted off running downstairs because my brother needed something!

Carly said...

Hi Jessica...

Good to see ya come by darlin...

As a matter of fact I followed up later in the ntry with...

"I realize that he doesn't speak for every republican, when he says things like he did the other day, but what I don't understand is why anyone would list to that kind of hurtful nonsense in the first place."

I realize I can sometimes fall into that kind of blanketed thinking, and I work hard not to, however, sometimes even I have those moments of frustration we all feel regardless of the side we find ourselves on. I know he doesn't speak for all of conservative America...which is why I said so in my entry before I hit the publish button.

:)

Anonymous said...

:) It never ceases to amaze me...and please me to no end...that we think so much alike...have such similar intellect (if im not being too bold), the same sense of right and wrong, and the same foibles...despite being on the oposite ends of the political spectrum...it gives me hope that there CAN be a middle ground found, where people stop toeing party lines, stop seeking out the extreme ends of the pendulum swing and try and find a ground we can all live on...and candidates that feel the same... it may get me tossed squarely out of some of my more political circles, but I truly believe the two-party system needs some serious reworking, and the first step in that endeavor is ...well, a multi-phase step...people need to a) care, b) educate themselves, and c) VOTE - using their brains instead of their hyped up emotions and mobmentality lemming natures.

:)

Carly said...

Hi Jessica :)

I absolutely believe that we can work together, although I think it has been somewhat encouraged in this country that we don't. You and I share a great love for America, and we keep our eyes focused on that. I think that says a lot about working together for a common good. I also think that since you and I are of the same age, approx, we understand each other because we have lived through the same years and can bring our individual experiences to our words and blogs. :) Isn't that excellent? :)You are absolutely right... CARE, EDUCATE, VOTE!