Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Saw The Light


"Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life. And everyone deserves a little sunshine."

-Jeffery Goldman

Isn't that a beautiful butterfly? Sigh :) I had the best time the other day at the conservatory, chasing it from flower to flower, taking photo after photo of it's beautiful, graceful movements. I am going to miss the Butterfly Exhibit, when it closes at the Conservatory of Flowers in late October. It has been nothing short of magical to me, to be able to see all the different varieties and study their behavior. I have been waiting all summer to photograph this particular butterfly species, Mimosa Yellow (Pyrisitia).

It just made me smile to see it in person, after having admired it for years in art, and pages of insect lore. I did a little reading tonight, and found out some interesting facts about butterflies in lore and mythology. For example, many cultures consider the butterfly to be the symbols of the human soul. The Chinese and Japanese cultures, use the butterfly as symbols of joy and happiness. The Blackfoot Indians, believe that dreams are brought to us in sleep by butterflies.

I have decided that the painting I am about to start in a few weeks, will be of one of the butterflies I was able to view at the conservatory exhibit. Butterflies inspire me, and make me feel really good inside, it seems like a natural choice for my painting. I can't wait to begin painting it, but I have to put it off until at least mid-autumn. Still, it is a good feeling to already be planning what it will look like, and where I will hang the painting when I am done, and of course, it will remind me of the awesome time I spent this summer, learning so much about patience and beauty from their little lives. :)

"I Saw The Light"
By Todd Rundgren

It was late, last night
I was feeling something wasn't right
There was not another soul in sight
Only you, only you
So we walked along
Though I knew that there was something wrong
And a feeling hit me oh so strong about you
Then you gazed at me and the answer was plain to see
'Cause I saw, the light, in your eyes

Though we had our fling
I just never would suspect a thing
Till that little bell began to ring in my head
In my head
But I tried to run
Though I knew it wouldn't help me none
'Cause I couldn't ever love no one, or so I said
But my feelings for you
Were just something I never knew
'Till I saw, the light in your eyes

But I love you best
It's not something that I say in jest,
'Cause your different boy from all the rest
In my eyes
And I ran out before, but I won't do it anymore
'Cause I saw the light in your eyes.

-OndineMonet
"Sunny One"
Conservatory of Flowers
San Francisco, California
September 6th, 2006
Afternoon


1 comment:

DesLily said...

great picture (as always)..
mean of you to put out a "teaser" that you will paint butterflies and then make us all wait to see it! ARGH!!!! lol