Monday, September 04, 2006

His Truth Is Marching On...

"I can look you in the eye and tell you I feel I've tried to solve the problem diplomatically to the max, and would have committed troops both in Afghanistan and Iraq knowing what I know today."

-George W. Bush, Irvine, California., April 24, 2006

One week from today, our country will recognize a very grim milestone. It will be the 5th anniversary of the events of September 11th, 2001. I dislike calling it an anniversary, because the images that come to mind when I think of an anniversary don't usually involve the kinds of images that we all saw on that horrific day five years ago. As I sit here right now, typing this, I am watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel called, "Inside The Twin Towers," which chronicles eyewitness accounts of what it was like to be in the towers, when it was struck. Poignant, first person, accounts. Sigh.

Sometimes I cry when I think about that day, often times I get frustrated that so little has been done to track Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice. Sometimes I get angry that, in fact, the CIA quietly disbanded the Bin Laden unit known as "Alec Station," late last year. I don't understand why Bin Laden hasn't been caught. It has been nearly five years, and we are still in the same amount of danger that we were on the morning of September 11, 2001. Sigh. I often see a certain catch-phrase here and there, sometimes web banners on different Internet sites, that say the same thing, "Never Forget, September 11, 2001." Tell me...have we, as a country, forgotten, by way of indifference, complacency and depression, because we feel we have no real control over our future when it comes to terrorism? If we don't demand more of our elected officials, especially when it comes to the search for Bin Laden, have we not, in effect, given up? Tell me your thoughts.

And now, a few words from George...

"I would guess, I would surmise that some of the more spectacular bombings are done by al Qaeda suiciders."
-George W. Bush, Washington D.C.. August 21, 2006

"I've reminded the prime minister the American people, Mr. Prime Minister, over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States and America would have a close relationship."
-George W. Bush, Washington D.C., June 29th, 2006

"We shouldn't fear a world that is more interacted."
-George W. Bush, Washington D.C., June 27th, 2006

"I said I was looking for a book to read, Laura said, you ought to try Camus. I also read three Shakespeares... I've got a eck-a-lec-tic reading list."
-George W. Bush, New Orleans, La., August 29th, 2006
(He claims to have read 60 books since January 1st, 2006)

"The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany."
-George W. Bush, Washington D.C., May 5th, 2006

And finally...

"You never know what your history is going to be like until long after you're gone."
-George W. Bush, Washington D.C., May 5th, 2006

-OndineMonet

CIA Reportedly Disbands Bin Laden Unit

Inside The Twin Towers (Discovery Channel Schedule)


2 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm not quite sure of your stance here, but I for one, am not a fan of Mr Bush and his "tactics".

Nancy

Janet said...

He's just so frickin' scary...