Monday, August 07, 2006

Earth Standing By... The "Caption This!" Results

"Space is almost infinite. As a matter of fact, we think it is infinite."

-Dan Quayle

Remember the song, "Major Tom?" It was first sang by David Bowie, then by Peter Schilling, in the 1980's. That is what I thought of, when I saw the scene that I used for this caption contest. You can find the entry here. Wow guys, I was amazed at the creativity that I saw in your responses! I may have to do this again, sometime soon. I think you guys might be better at captioning my photographs then I am. LOL. It was difficult to choose just one, in fact I couldn't, so here's what I did.

There were one line captions, and small essay captions. I chose one of each. LOL. Most of the responses I received were just too funny, not to receive some kind of nod! LOL. Below are the winners, so if you haven't already read the entries in the comment thread for the "Caption This!" entry, please go and have a read, you will laugh... I promise! :)

From Will...

"Flamingo machine gun nest guards the Shrine of the Unknown Astronaut... "

From Brock...

"Dr. Crenshaw please? And hurry. What? Oh, yes, I'll hold... Hello? Doctor? Oh thank God. Yes, yes, that's why I'm calling! It's happening, just like in the dream! Wha? Yes, yes, I remember what you said about 'unnatural fear' but you don't understand: It's JUST LIKE in the dream! Yes, the dream we talked about at last week's session. Wha? Of course, do I have to spell it out for you? There are flamingos. F-L-A-M-I-N-G-O-S!! Wha? Well, ofcourseI'mwearingmyspacesuitIalwayswearmyspacesuit!! Hello...hello? Dr. Crenshaw, are you still there? Hello?

{good god, do those flamingos look like they're closer to you?}

Honorable Mention

From John...

"Garden Globe, Berkeley Style"
If you visit your Home Depot garden center, you will find garden globes, clay bunnies, copper butterflies. This is what is being sold at Berkeley's Home Depot garden center. They've already moved 23 of them.

LOL. See what I mean? Tee Hee. Ok, I am still laughing over here, we will do this again soon. In the mean time, would you guys like it if I brought Madlibs back to Ellipsis? Would you play along? How about a different game? Leave me your thoughts in the comment thread for this entry. Come on, you know you want to! :)

I will be sending the winners their prizes shortly. Congratulations! :)

Major Tom
(The Peter Shilling Version)

Standing there alone, the ship is waiting
All the systems are go, "Are you sure?"
Control is not convinced, but the computer
has the evidence, no need to abort
The countdown starts.

Watching in a trance, the crew is certain
Nothing left to chance, all is working
Trying to relax, up in the capsule
"Send me up a drink," jokes Major Tom
The countdown goes on...

4321
Earth below us, drifting falling
Floating weightless
Calling, calling home...

Second stage is cut, we're now in orbit
stabilizers up, running perfect
Starting to collect requested data
"What will it affect, when all is done?"
Thinks Major Tom

Back at ground control, there is a problem
"Go to thrusters full," not responding
"Hello Major Tom, are you receiving?"
Turn the thrusters on
We're standing by, there's no reply

4321
Earth below us, drifting, falling
Floating weightless,
Calling home...

Across the stratosphere, a final message
"Give my wife my love"
Then nothing more

Far beneath the ship, the world is mourning
They don't realize he's alive
No one understands, but Major Tom sees
"Now the light commands, this is my home
I'm coming home."

Earth below us, drifting falling,
Floating weightless coming home
Earth below us, drifting falling
Floating weightless, coming, coming
home, home.

-OndineMonet
"The Moon"
Berkeley, California
May 23, 2005 3:50 AM