Friday, April 07, 2006

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment # 106: Scalzi's Somewhat Pathetic Cry For Help


'Believing hear, what you deserve to hear:
Your birthday as my own to me is dear...
But yours gives most; for mine did only lend to me the world
Yours gave to me a friend"

-Unknown

Weekend Assignment # 106: Suggest a really cool birthday gift for my wife. By which I mean...if you're a women, what would you want for a birthday gift, and if you're a man, what would you get for your significant other?

Now, here are the ground rules:

1. Money is not necessarily an object, but come on, be reasonable.
2. Don't suggest anything that Krissy couldn't unwrap in public.
3. Your gift idea doesn't actually have to be something you can buy...if you want to suggest something intangible, go ahead.
4. Don't tell Krissy I'm doing this. Like, shhhh.

Extra Credit: How good of a job do you do in getting your spouse/significant other gifts they like?

-John Scalzi (By The Way...)

I love birthdays. :) I especially love birthdays since Alan and I were married. :) He always makes the day special for me, in one way or another, but in recent years he has been giving me a special gift, see, he has been writing me a "Book Of Carly." On a golden, crisp, autumn morning, several years ago, I woke up to find on the pillow next to me, a beautiful, "Fire & Ice" rose, and a poem that he had written for me, as he watched me sleeping the night before...

"Quietly I listen as you fill each corner of my life with
the sounds of angels, and hues that would inspire a muse.
I know the reality of winter and the promise of spring
but in the eyes and arms, of my autumn, I find the greatest love."

-Alan

So John, here is my suggestion. Make Krissy her own, "Book Of Krissy." Take some photos from little moments past, take some current, candid, photos, and maybe some photos of the two of you together, and as a family, then write her short poems to put alongside the photos. It could be done pretty easily in this age of computers, then when you have compiled it all together, have it bound in leather, with a unique title. In short, Mr. Author, write her a book. :) A book no one else will ever own but she, and don't forget to autograph it! :) Homemade gifts mean so much, and so does being able to really see your life through the eyes of the person who loves your the most. :) Trust me. :)

Extra Credit: It is hit and miss. LOL. Alan usually writes me a wish list. It works for us.

-OndineMonet
"Passionate Sunset"
Point Montara, California
Winter, 2005
Early Evening

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

This is an absolutely wonderful suggestion. I hope Scalzi actually does it! - K.